One of the most complicated aspects of life is romantic relationships. People stumble through so many before they find the one and settle down. But how do you have a successful relationship? What is the secret?
Through careful reflection of my relationship successes and failures, I discovered seven key commitment rules to live by.
1. Don’t Lose Who You Are: I know one of the biggest mistakes I have made in relationships in the past is to adapt myself to what my boyfriend needs. As a result, sometimes I tend to lose track of who I am and what I stand for. Don’t change yourself to the point where you start losing the fundamentals of yourself. The relationship won’t work if you do.
2. Make Time for Friends: I’ve noticed that once people get into a relationship, they tend to drop off the face of the earth. They become so consumed with the relationship and spend the majority of their free time with their partner. Don’t neglect your friendships just because you are in a relationship. Make time to hang out with the girls (or guys). 20 Single Habits To Keep When You're In Love
3. Spend Time Apart: It is important to have solo time. You don’t need to spend every waking minute with your partner. If you want to, great, but don’t. Time apart is vital.
4. Learn to Compromise: This is key to relationship success. Without compromise, conflict will ensue and no one wants a relationship filled with conflict. 11 Things A Good Boyfriend Won't Ask You To Do
5. Make Memories: It’s not about the amount of money you spend on your boyfriend or girlfriend. What is remembered most are the memories you create together. Instead of dropping $100 at a fancy restaurant, go try something new together. Neither of you will ever forget the time you stumbled around a dance floor trying to learn the tango or throwing gutterball after gutterball at the bowling alley. Memories last and having good times to remember can help get you through rough patches you may encounter.
More Juicy Content From YourTango: