The Saturday morning teen soap taught us a thing or three about love.
If you're familiar with my writing and my love of the zeitgeist, you know that I have a somewhat soft place for Saved By The Bell in my heart. The show has been getting a ton of nostalgic love lately. Kelly Kapowski (Tiffani Thiessen) had a baby in real life, Jimmy Fallon is making it his life mission to get a reunion show and Dustin Diamond (Screech) made a sex tape and wrote a muck-raking tell-all book called Behind The Bell (guess who will not be back for the reunion?). But what did the show teach us about love?
1. Unrequited love usually remains unrequited. Poor Screech pines and pines and pines for Lisa Turtle (Lark Voorhies) and she returns his puppy love with venom. Sure she goes to the prom with him, but when a lady is not interested, she's just not interested.
2. A time out is periodically in order. One of Zack Morris' greatest abilities (and there were many) was his ability to stop time and contemplate or comment upon the best course of action (or duck a punch). A little T.O. can be the difference between a mouth full of foot and thoughtful discourse. Read: 9 Things To Say During A Fight
3. There's not just one person for everyone. As much as breaking up and drifting apart hurt, there is always someone out there that could be cast in your love life. AC Slater (Mario Lopez) doesn't miss Jessie Spano (Elizabeth Berkley) too much in college after meeting Alex, and Zack has managed, from time to time, to put his Kelly Kapowski love on the back burner with Leslie and Stacey Corosi (among others). In the regular show's final season, the producers even managed to replace Kelly and Jessie with a gal named Tori.
4. You can't have it all. In a very special episode, life creeps up on Jessie fast and hard. After her caffiend meltdown the whole country was "So excited… So excited… So scared." She taught us that between school, her relationship with AC and her extra-curricular activities, something had to give. Along with needing a periodic time out, knowing and respecting your limitations is a big key to not alienating a partner. Read: Career And Family: Can We Really Have Both?
5. Options are nice. There's a school of thought that says you should date a few people at the same to get an idea of what YOU like. On top of that, a little jealousy and romantic competition isn't a bad thing. Through the years, AC Slater, Jeremiah Lasky and that bozo from The Max keep Zack on his toes for Kelly's affection. Read: New York Women To Learn How To Find The One By Dating Three At Once
6. Sometimes when it's right, it's right. Zack and Kelly managed to chase each other around high school, college, a cruise ship and Las Vegas for half of a decade. Eventually, it's time to stop pussyfooting around and make it happen. And Zack took the bull by the horns by proposing to Kelly rather than letting her get away. Though his parents objected to the quickie wedding, Zack, Kelly and company went through with a Vegas nuptials cum series finale/ reunion.
Any other love lessons or memories from Saved By The Bell?