Communication is crucial in a healthy relationship, and most guys are game to answer any questions you may have. However, there are some questions that a man never wants to to hear come out of a woman's mouth. To avoid ruining your chances with a guy, here are four things to avoid saying to a man:
1. Do you think I'm fat? Men despise this question. First of all, there is no clear way for him to answer correctly. If he says "no," the woman might accuse him of lying, but if he answers with brutal honesty and says "no, but you could lay off the ice cream," it will only hurt her feelings.
Men are attracted to confident women, and questions like these make you look needy and insecure. 5 Dating Tips For Introverts
2. What was your ex like? Before you ask this question, consider what your motives are. Are you trying to get insight into what kind of women he's attracted to? Are you just nosey and curious? Are you jealous that he's been in love before?
Now that you've answered the why, consider this — does it really matter? If he's not with her but he is with you, what more do you need to know? Questions like this only make you look insecure. That relationship didn't work out for a reason, so don't give him a reason to look back. Are You In A Healthy Relationship?
3. Will you call me when you get there ... and text me when you're leaving ... and call me before you go to sleep? Guys love to call and text their girlfriends, but only when they want to. Not because they feel like they have to.
When a guy feels like he has to call you and "check in" with his every move, he will slowly start resenting you more and more each time he picks up the phone. His hourly phone calls might make you feel secure, but wouldn't you enjoy the attention more if you gave your guy the license to make his own choices about how to let you know that you're important and that he's thinking about you?
It will feel a lot better when you know it's coming from a place of love rather than him simply doing it because he has to.
More couples advice from YourTango:
- 22 Ways Couples Can Overcome Infidelity
- What Happy Couples Have In Common [VIDEO]
- 5 Secrets Of Happily Married Couples
4. Where do you see us in ten years? Most men don't have 20 year plans for their relationships. They live in the moment, and they enjoy every second they get to spend with the woman they care about.
That's not to say that they don't want long-term things or have goals, but if a guy is committed to you now, he isn't thinking about ten years down the road. Most likely, he's happy with how things are going and just wants it to continue. Does Love At First Sight Mean Happily Ever After?