To be successful at dating or anything for that matter, you need to have a sense of gratitude. Gratitude is the quality of being thankful, a readiness to show appreciation for — and to return — kindness. Why does this matter when it comes to dating? According to Psychology Today, "Studies show that counting our blessings improves psychological, emotional and physical well-being."
Robert Emmons, editor-in-chief of the Journal of Positive Psychology, discusses in his book the profound impact a practice of gratitude can have on your heart and those in your lives. Emmons makes the astonishing claim that people who practice gratitude are an amazing 25 percent happier than those who do not. Imagine the impact this can have on your love life!
More from YourTango: Who Is Heidi Klum's New Boyfriend Vito Schnabel?
Adopting an attitude of gratitude for your life, surroundings and experiences will help you grow into a happier, kinder human being. Those around you will be drawn to your positive energy and feel your appreciation towards them. They will know you are an emotionally healthy person and can relax and allow you to enter their lives. All of this has an incredibly meaningful impact on my clients when I'm matching them with prospective mates. And it can help you too.
You may be thinking, "What do I have to be grateful for?" Try this exercise to get you in the moment and paying attention to the many things you have in your life to be thankful for. Starting from the moment you awake in the morning ...
1. You're alive. Shut out all thoughts of things you need to do and just be grateful you are breathing and living.
2. Your body. You are touching, tasting, talking, hearing, feeling, breathing and seeing. If you use some type of aid to help you do these things, appreciate they are available to you.
3. Electricity. Was that a light you just switched on so you could see? Did your coffee maker start brewing your favorite blend? Pure magic.
4. Running water. Is there running water coming out of your faucet with the twist of your wrist. How's that for instant gratification? Let's not forget that warm shower, hot bath, flushing toilet, cold ice in your freezer and more.
More from YourTango: It Really Is You: How You Sabotage Your Relationship
5. Food. Right there being kept fresh in your refrigerator just waiting to nourish your body. Savor the smells, textures and flavors as you eat to truly enjoy what's feeding your body and soul. Keep reading ...
More life advice from YourTango: