Learn why a natural disaster is the perfect opportunity to find love!
The east coast is basically experiencing Armageddon firsthand right now. But while Frankenstorm is flooding the streets, your love life could be overflowing, too. You see, when the kids get a snow day (or hurricane day), they play make believe. When you're single, the adult version of the playground is getting online dating inbox happy. There's nothing like a natural disaster to get singles to shack up with someone.
While all the stores are closing their doors, virtual hot spots are the opposite: today and tomorrow will likely be the highest traffic days for online dating of the season in the Northeast. Well, as long as power and Wi-Fi stay connected, that is. So now that Sandy has rolled into town, keep your head and heart above water by cuddling under the duvet with your laptop and these eFlirting essentials:
- Instant Connection. If a match is "online now," it's the real deal today, not a fluke window open on their desktop. So use the "instant message" functionality to say hello since they're sitting right there rather than writing him or her an email. Even if IM'ing isn't your usual style, it's definitely the best way to make a hurricane boyfriend or girlfriend when you know you're both stuck inside.
- Site Hop. Just because you can't explore the great outdoors doesn't mean you can't do some digital trekking. While traffic is high, it's the perfect time to check out a new community since you'll see new matches. And of course, playing doesn't always mean paying: you can try a free site or opt-in to a full-access free trial like seven free days on Match or Chemistry. And Jewcier is offering Jewish singles free flirting all week with the code "sandy."
- Weather Report. Usually, talking about the weather is lame. But while Sandy is swirling, it's OK to use the storm as a way to connect. Do it through updates like sharing crazy photos you've found on the web to bond with your match, rather than obvious lines like "Wow, it's pretty windy out there, huh?"
So, power up your devices and let the laptop light keep you warm!
Laurie Davis is the founder of eFlirt Expert and author of Love @ First Click: The Ultimate Guide to Online Dating. She was nominated Best Dating Coach in the 2012 iDate Awards and her advice has been featured in over 200 international media outlets including The New York Times, Good Morning America, Men’s Health and Marie Claire. For more advice, subscribe to her newsletter.
More dating advice from YourTango:
- What Is Mobile Dating? Should I Try It?
- Dating 101: How To Know He Wants To Kiss You
- The Secret To Successful Online Dating