Trust us, a divorcé will be the best boyfriend you've ever had.
A recent study conducted by the Marriage Foundation revealed a surprising statistic: although 45 percent of marriages end in divorce, only 31 percent of second marriages fail. This got me thinking. As a 30-something, single gal looking to settle down, perhaps I have been searching down the wrong path? Maybe the assumption that divorced equals baggage is contradictory to the actual truth of the matter. I pondered this article for quite some time and ultimately decided that perhaps divorced men do, in fact, make better boyfriends. Here's why:
1. He won't want to fail again. Remember the episode of Friends when Ross' neurosis hits an all-time high at the prospect of a second (and then a third) divorce? This fear can serve as a strong motivator to get it right the second time around. I would venture to guess that men are more willing to do the work and keep their relationships strong, fulfilling and everlasting.
2. He's learned from his mistakes. Relationships are learning experiencing and when one endures the finality of divorce, he is forced to reflect upon his actions. Perhaps he learned to listen more or spend less time at the office and has since changed his ways. This may be too late for the relationship in question, but it bodes well for the next woman in his life. Keep reading...
More divorce advice from YourTango:
- How To Divorce-Proof Your Marriage
- The Top 5 Mistakes That Lead To Divorce
- How To Move On From A Painful Breakup