There are some telltell signs that you are not really ready for your beau to pop the big question. What are the signs? They might not be quite as obvious as Julia Roberts in the film, Runaway Bride. They could be like little dust bunnies lurking behind your bookshelf filled with romance novels.
But, if you are not thinking "I cannot imagine not being with this man" you know, but are afraid to admit, that you are not ready to get engaged. Here are 10 signs that you aren't ready for him to propose.
More from YourTango: 9 Must-Read Tips For How To Keep Him Interested
1. You think to yourself "if I say yes, I will never get to kiss another man again." This is the first thing that went through my head when my ex popped the question on my 25 birthday. After giving me a yellow rose for friendship, lining up a professional massage, then giving me a Pink rose for romance over breakfast and finally a red rose for love after a hike, I knew something was up. It wasn't like him. He pulled out a bottle of white wine and wine glasses all tied up in white ribbons. I knew his mom planned it all. Kiss plenty of men if you're dating after a divorce. 9 Love Lessons I Learned From My Divorce
2. Then you think, "how could I say no? That would hurt his feelings." Being the people pleaser I was taught to be, after these thoughts raced through my head, I smiled and said yes. But, I knew I wasn't ready. Not the right guy? Get online.
3. Then you say to yourself quietly, "God please help me." If you are thinking this, you know you are not ready. Begging for help from the creator at a time like this is a big sign that you are not ready to get engaged.
4. You never disliked shopping, until now. You always loved going to the mall and feeling all of the fabrics and taking in the new colors of the season. When you went home with your schoolgirl skirt and frilly blouse you always felt so relaxed. But, now shopping for a new dress seems really heavy, literally. You are now shopping for dresses with matching white boleros and pounds of beadwork and sequins. All in white, antique white, off white and what seems now like dirty white. Online Dating Is Just Like Online Shopping
More from YourTango: Love Yourself This Thanksgiving
5. You do your best to smile when you talk about your engagement. If your eyes don't crinkle up and twinkle when you are talking about your fiancé, you might not be ready to get engaged.
More engagement advice from YourTango: