Repel men with these five classic errors.
If you are frustrated with your online dating results, you may be making one of several, classic mistakes, so revising your profile could be the solution. When clients come to me as a dating coach asking for help with their profiles, these are the mistakes I tell them to watch out for:
1. Skimping on photos. What's the first thing a man sees about your profile? Your photo! That's why you want pictures that do you justice and show off your best look. I often recommend professional photos, but you can have a friend take them as well. The point is to really think about the photos you post because they are extremely important to your online dating success.
- Wear your favorite date clothes, choose solid colors and include a full body shot.
- Smile pretty, don't wear sunglasses, and stand in the foreground — no long-distance shots.
- Avoid posting pictures with multiple people so you keep the focus on you.
- Forget vacation and landscape photos. They are distracting and not about you.
- Make sure the background looks good too.
2. Writing too much. A long profile that crams in every scrap about who you are does not work to your advantage. The main purpose of your write-up is to simply get someone to email you. You'll have plenty of time to share the nitty-gritty details when you talk on the phone and meet, so save something for later. Keep your profile simple and memorable. After all, people tend to skim. Most of all, I tell my dating coaching clients to keep the tone positive and upbeat to maximize your appeal.
3. Explaining the obvious. Almost everyone likes to dine out, go to the movies, snuggle in front of a fire and take walks. Don't say those things even if they're true! You want to stand apart from the crowd, and saying the same boring thing every other woman says won't attract the quality man you hope to meet.
Instead, dig deeper about who you are or share something less obvious. How would you spend a rainy Sunday afternoon? What's your favorite movie and how did it move you? Do you have a passion (like a hobby or charity), and how did you get started? Keep reading ...
More dating advice from YourTango:
- Ladies, You Need To Watch Out For These Online Dating Red Flags
- The Secret To Successful Online Dating
- 7 Signs He Wants To Kiss You Right. This. Second.