After a few years of marriage (and throw in long hours at work and kids into the mix), romance may have moved pretty far down the list of priorities. But for a happy, healthy marriage, one of the essential elements is to continue to regularly reconnect with the attraction you initially felt when you fell in love with each other. Here are some suggestions to help you rekindle that spark.
1. Create a coupon book. Write out things you're happy to gift to your spouse and put them in an envelope, notebook, or small box. They can redeem them when they wish. Here are some ideas:
- This coupon is good for a backrub.
- This coupon is good for a week of doing dishes.
- This coupon is good for your special meal prepared.
- This coupon is good for _____________ (let them fill in the blank).
2. Surprise him/her by getting in the shower with them and playing "drop the soap."
3. Read him the sports pages while wearing sexy lingerie.
4. Read her pages from her favorite romance novel and use your sexiest (FM radio announcer) voice.
5. Prepare and eat a meal that includes only food you eat with your fingers. Feeding each other and lots of finger licking (yours and theirs) is mandatory.
6. Write out and leave love notes and/or sexy notes in unexpected places for them to find during the day. Use your imagination about where the tuck notes. Some ideas:
- Seat of their car
- Visor of their car
- iPad case.
7. Do something with your spouse that interests them and doesn't interest you. Ask them why they like this activity and really listen. You just might learn something about them and the activity.
8. Send a sexy text during the day.
9. Blindfold your spouse and take them on a picnic. This can even be as close as your backyard.
10. Make a path with something like candy kisses, rose petals, or candy gold coins from the front door to somewhere else (the bedroom, the kitchen, the backyard) and be waiting there with their favorite cold beverage.
11. Write a love note or poem on a piece of paper and then cut it up into puzzle-like pieces. Then leave (somewhere in the house) or mail one piece each day to your spouse. If you start on Monday you could get lucky on Friday.
12. Change a board game so it becomes "strip" checkers, Monopoly, Risk, Parcheesi, etc.
13. Men: Offer to shave her legs. Women: Offer to shave his face.
14. Take a train ride and pretend to be strangers who meet for the first time and fall in love.
15. Dance in the living room — clothing optional!
The best part? You don't even need a lot of money to achieve the romance so start planning something special today. Your spouse will love it!
More romantic ideas on YourTango: