Some were harder than others to learn.
It’s hard to believe that my relationship blog is four years old today.
I get those damn butterflies in my stomach every single time I think of how far this blog has come in the past few years. And my heart feels like it’s about to burst when I think of how blessed I am that you all come back to read my thoughts, hear about my adventures and stick with me through any breakup, job change or difficult time.
This adventure has taught me so much … but here are just a few lessons that really stand out from the past four years.
1. Forget your keys. Your phone. Your debit card. Your sanity. But don’t forget how to dream.
2. The most beautiful thing you can be is yourself.
3. Sleep with him for six months post break-up, shame on no one. Sleep with him for two years, shame on you.
4. Keep your heart open and your feet on the ground.
5. Just because it ended, it doesn’t mean it didn’t matter. It just means something will someday matter more.
6. You might not have a good time. You might spend too much money. He could be really, really short. Your friends could make you take two more shots than you’d like. Doesn’t matter: say YES to life.
7. Hope with all your have. Work harder than what you have. Watch big things happen.
8. For goodness sake, forgive yourself. You’re human. You’re normal. You’re lovely. Forgive. Yourself.
9. Nothing is forever. No heartbreak, no love. No job, no savings account. No pain, no success. Savor it all. It goes so fast.
10. Don’t be fooled: no one has their shit together. (And that’s an awesome thing!)
11. Ambition is powerful. Kindness is even more powerful.
12. You’re not going to teach him how to kiss. There are better frogs to meet, lady.
13. He’s out there. And you should be, too.
14. You’re stronger than you think, more beautiful than you can see and most of your favorite memories … haven’t even happened yet. (Isn’t that amazing to think about?)
15. It’s okay to fall out of love. With men. With cities. With your job. With yourself. Just don’t forget #9.
16. You’re going to fall apart and make mistakes. It’s going to suck sometimes. But that’s the best part about life … it always, always (always!) changes.
17. A woman should have a magic to her that belongs only to herself. Learning to be alone – and really enjoying it and owning it – is one of the most important qualities you’ll need in life. Even in marriage, you must know how stand on your two feet.
18. If you believe you can, you will. If you believe you can’t, you won’t.
19. Get a passport. Use it. You will never regret any money you spend on any trip you take. They have a way of making you a better person in ways you can’t understand until you leave.
20. Put down your phone. Open your eyes. Look around. You’re missing so much.
21. No one notices an extra five pounds. No one notices a new pimple on your chin. Everyone notices a bitter bitch. You get a pass for a while, but then … put on some lipstick, smile (even if it’s fake) and get back out there.
22. There will be a day, out of nowhere, when everything feels different. When you find a kick in your step. When you let go of your umbrella and embrace the storm.
23. You probably won’t meet your husband tonight. Or tomorrow. But you’re definitely not going to meet him sitting in your apartment, watching romantic comedies on Netflix.
24. Life happens all at once… or not at all.
25. Your friends make everything worth it. And they usually come as a package deal … with wine. Love those ladies and don’t forget them when you fall in love with a man.
26. Don’t give up. On your dreams. Your career. Your friendships. Your goals. Your heart. On love …. and most importantly, on yourself. Life has a way of continuously surprising you. You just have to let it.
This article was originally published at http://loveaddictnyc.com. Reprinted with permission from the author.