Did you ever notice how food has a knack for bringing people together? Meals are often at the heart of an amazing date; cocktails encourage bonding and release us of inhibitions; cooking tends to be a significant act of love and generosity. Our relationships with food and our relationships with one another seem to go hand in hand. And sometimes, our relationships with food can venture into not-so-healthy territory, because food itself can be a source of comfort. But it can wander into funny territory too (if you've ever seen pets eating with forks and knives and dressed like humans, you know what we mean).
YourTango conducted a survey of over 1000 readers (using Survey Monkey) to gauge the attitudes and habits of women and men when it comes to food and love (and dating and relationships and sex and so on!). Some of the amazing things we learned include:
More from YourTango: Power Women: 4 Must-Know Dating Secrets Of Successful Ladies
- 84 of respondents identify as foodies — but 90% are perfectly happy to date someone with no cooking skills at all.
- 75% agree that preparing food for a date or partner is a significant act of love.
- 40% of people say that their significant others inspire them to cook more often — and a third say that their partners helped them appreciate home-cooked meals more.
- People tend to be traditional when it comes to dating etiquette: less than 5% of female and male respondents feel strongly that a man should not have to pay on a date. Chivalry is not dead!
- More than half of respondents admit to being emotional eaters — using food to ease negative feelings like loneliness and heartbreak.
- It pays to be an adventurous eater. Half of respondents also claim they would probably not date someone with significant dietary restrictions.
For the next two weeks, we'll explore the heartwarming, thought-provoking and hilarious parallels between food and love, and how to use nourishment to nurture healthy relationships in every area of our lives during our third annual Breakfast, Love & Dinner campaign.
Remember to come back for new content each day — exclusive recipes, Q&As with celeb chefs, food and cocktail trends, first-person essays and more. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter for fun facts, quotes and anecdotes about food and love.
To see all of our Breakfast, Love & Dinner content from this year and years prior, click here.
Bon appetit & lots of love,
More from YourTango: Win The Classic Timbuk2 Messenger Bag!
More juicy stories on YourTango: