Say these words of appreciation today and earn yourself a relationship Gold Star!
Words of apprecation spoken directly to your romantic partner go far in paving the way to a happy, healthy relationship. What is sometimes too easily forgotten: Disagreements among couples (from trifling to serious) can nearly always be overcome with a few words of gratitude from a partner (a.k.a. a healthy dose of authentic compliments). But it takes more than a "Hey baby, you're hot" to really win points with your partner here. These are the top five compliments every woman loves to hear. If you can't remember the words verbatim, remember the three key principles: appreciation, support and acceptance. This is the triage to a strong, lasting and powerful romantic endeavor.
1. You’re irreplaceable. This is a surefire way to light up your partner's eyes. Saying these words (with full eye contact, of course) lets the special one in your life know that you know who she is as a person and that you value her as a unique individual. Why is this so effective? Think about when you break up with someone and part ways. One of the worst ramifications of the break-up is finding out, via Facebook or chatter among friends, that you've been replaced by someone new. On the flip side, hearing from your current partner that you're valued for more than what you look like scores big, meaningful points.
2. You bring light to my life. Yes, we know this sounds like a bit much. But bear with us and let us make one point: realtionships can go off-course when one or both partners takes for granted the contributions the other makes to their lives. Saying this shows that a man understands and remembers that a women chooses to be with her man and opts to give her energy and time to him. Showing he appreciates that she shares her life with him is symphonic to a woman's ears. If the word "light" is a tad too over-the-top for you, try replacing it with happiness, joy, sunshine — whichever word you can say with genuine meaning.
3. You are perfect just the way that you are. This one takes the gold star award for its ability to make a woman’s day, week, month or even year. Ingrid Michealson sang it best with her lyrics to the song “The Way I Am.” If you really want to make your partner’s day, we suggest e-mailing this song or Youtube video to the woman you love. Deep, lasting love is unconditional. Showing that you comprehend and embrace this idea will touch your partner way more than surface-y comments such as “Your earrings are cute.”
4. I love your (fill in the blank: bright eyes, cute toes, toned arms, sleek legs, silky hair). We did not mean to give the impression above that women don't like to hear you notice when we put exra-effort into looking foxy for our man. But they key here is to give genuine compliments. Don’t just pick any random feature. Think about it. What is your partner’s best physical atribute and why do you like it? Telling your partner this will show her you pay attenion to details —and to her.
5. I am so proud of you. A big deal-breaker in any relationship can be supporting one another’s life goals or not. Paying attention to your partner’s current goals that she's working hard to achieve endear her to you for life. Whether it's paying off her credit card debt, completing a class, putting in extra hours to earn a promotion or even trying to better balance her life, show your loving support for your woman. Her heart will melt when she remembers you supported her along the way to making things happen and brushed her off when the chips were down.