The beginning of a relationship can be a tricky course to navigate. Guys (like me) aren't so good at guessing what women think or want, and our stupidity can lead to otherwise easily avoidable arguments. Setting some basic rules with your new flame may help you get past the small stuff and start enjoying your lives together.
Here are ten guidelines to smooth the road with your new beau.
More from YourTango: I Didn't Marry The Love Of My Life ... On Purpose
1. P.D.A. regulation. People have different comfort levels when it comes to couples behavior in public. Find the line (holding hands, smooching, heated necking on the subway platform) and don't cross it. 7 Commandments For Showing Love In Public
2. One day a week. Decide on one day every week you can spend together, no one else invited. Everyone is busy; designating together-time is healthy for any relationship.
3. No suffocation. Being together is great—acting like conjoined twins is not. Respect each other's space and don't take it so seriously if he asks for some time to himself.
4. Don't talk about the future until it's time to talk about the future. Nothing freaks a guy out like the prospect of kids before he's actually ready to have them. Don't think he doesn't want to be with you if he shies away from the topic. He just enjoys the way things are and isn't quite ready to add a mini-me to the mix. Getting Your Guy To Talk About The Future
5. Forge friendships with your partner's pals… Not that you have to be one of the bros, but it's nice for him, and you, if feel comfortable around his buddies.
6. …But don't forget your own. Don't drop the friends who were with you before he showed up. Ditching the gals will lead to feelings of resentment and neglect, and if your relationship comes to an end, you'll want that circle of support.
More from YourTango: We're All Con Artists: 5 Love Lessons From 'American Hustle'
More Juicy Content From YourTango: