We have four distinct different approaches to Spirit Guidance. Which is yours?
There it was! That moment of palpable guidance! The words came from a deeper, wiser Source. The guidance was for me as much as for the client listening on phone.
“Pray for an experience of Holiness to remove all your doubt.”
A long Spirit-impregnated silence followed. I felt the ripples go through both our souls as the powerful words hit the still water at the center of each of our hearts.
Moments like that usually happen at least once and often several times on a coaching call. It is the magic of the presence of Spirit. I love it.
In my years of coaching I have seen how the client’s intention and my willingness can open a portal within me. It is a door to an ever-growing inner emptiness, an absence of self, which allows Spirit to come through.
It is Spirit coaching through me. I pray for and give thanks for this many times each day.
There are four distinct ways we seem to respond to Spirit coaching:
• One is the “normal” response, like the one that followed the guidance to “Pray for an experience of Holiness to remove all your doubt” mentioned above. It was, “Yes, I see. It is doubt that keeps me fighting with life. Pray?… hummm.. I can’t quite picture it…I could say the words, but….Perhaps …” Then comes a review and comparison with another ‘technique’ in the spiritual archive. Finally…. “I need time to ponder this.” This response tweaks the soul in a subtle way in its long evolutionary process. The rhythm of coaching, the steady impact of ongoing sessions illuminating our daily life, has a unique power to gradually transform.
• Often, however, the response is an attempt to side- track this expansive Spirit contact to our soul, a response from the ego-mind. It very carefully encases the guidance in a kind of intellectual plastic, creating an inanimate adornment for our spiritual ego, which is the aspect of our ego-mind that prides itself on its spirituality. In this way, the ego-mind appears to preserve the guidance while actually depriving our authentic Self of the real, heart-felt power of spiritual communion and truth. Ego-mind provides the resistance necessary for our authentic Self-awareness to become strong, much like using weights at the gym builds muscle. Its cleverness includes assuming the role of being our spiritual advisor. In this way, it often successfully keeps us deluded for some time, until the deep hunger of our heart awakens us.
• Another response I call the ‘radical exterior’ response. Ego-mind may tell us we need to ‘make a decision’ and take radical external action. It may have ‘the story’ that to truly follow our spiritual path we need to: leave our home, our relationship and our job or take some other ‘decisive’ external action. Then, once’ that’ happens the story line goes ‘we will be free to follow our true spiritual path and calling.’
• The truly radical response is the internal action. It happens when Spirit coaching or your own inner guidance meets an open door of acceptance that the ego-mind cannot manipulate in that moment.
- There is a simple readiness.
- The result is always radical and solid
- It is met with a clear intimate response from Spirit.
The other day a client reported just such a simple but powerful experience. In the past I have often heard her bitter complaint of what she describes as the ‘tedium’ of life, amplified by her acute awareness of her ever-present ego-mind monitoring the details of her life, as in our culture it is well-trained to do.
Following a number of months of a daily ritual of intimate connection with Spirit through prayer, she noticed a subtle but positive effect on her day. She was hungry for more. She was ready to open a door to acceptance and action within herself.
From that place of inner hunger, her response to the Spirit coaching, “go to place in nature and “hang out’ with Spirit there” was radical acceptance and action. No ego-mind. No pondering.
And Spirit’s response to her was intimate, direct and powerful.
She described it: “Even on the way there my whole body was vibrating. When I arrived and sat down, the air was cold and there was a chilly wind, but I was quite warm. Then I heard the Power. I don’t know how else to describe it. I think of myself as a visual person, but I heard the Power. It went on for quite a while. It was so strong. Some fear came up. So I breathed deeply to stay present. I stayed with it until some children came by where I was. Then it was complete. I also saw colors in the sea I had never seen. I heard the Power. “
She continued. “I understand now. It is a Mystery, completely beyond the mind. A profound emptiness that is utterly full. I wasn’t ready before. Now I am. It feels good to be ready. I have made a commitment. It is for the rest of my life.”
On the outside, her life looks pretty much the same to a casual observer:
• same relationship,
• same job,
• same finances,
• same daily tasks, etc.”
Yet her experience of those outer realities is subtly but radically transformed.
• Her response to every other aspect of her life has a new and different “ring.”
• Her inner life is now resting on a foundation that is more solid than bedrock.
• She has a knowing that is all her own.
• She has directly experienced who she truly is - the Power of the love that she is.
Without words the openness of her heart prayed for and received “an experience of holiness that removed all her doubt.”
I am reminded again of the many powerful experiences I have received through the years by acting on the internal guidance of Spirit. I am so very grateful to the coaches I have had and the coach I now have, an invaluable ‘second opinion’ to my own inner guidance. Most especially I am grateful to the One source from which the guidance comes.
Are you ready for an experience of Holiness that will remove all your doubt?