Well, it is that time of year again! Many of you around the world are beginning to think about holiday gift-giving. I believe that some issues in our lives come up over and over and that helpful reminders are timeless.
The holidays can be a confusing time for those who are "just" dating. There are so many considerations and questions that arise.
More from YourTango: Family Gift Giving For the Holidays
- Should I buy him a gift?
- Should I simply send her a card?
- Am I cheap or selfish if I don’t want to buy a gift at this point in our relationship?
- How will I look to him if I don’t?
- Am I creating some kind of pressure for her if I do?
- If I do, how much money should I spend?
- How personal a gift should I/can I buy?
- Is it okay to buy a gift that is simply a token of my enjoying his or her company?
Celebrations with Family and Friends:
- Should I invite him to my family’s home to light Hanukah candles?
- Should I invite her to my family’s for tree trimming/Midnight Mass/Christmas Eve/day/dinner?
- Should I include him in the traditional gift exchange? Is it okay to ask him to pay for a gift?
- Should I invite her to accompany me to my office party or to the homes of friends and family for holiday parties?
- What message will it send if I do or if I don’t?
- Is it rude to not include him or her?
Then there are even more quandaries and sticky situations you could find yourself in if you and your new Honey are of different faiths, or spiritual inclinations. And what if she has children or elderly parents living with her?
Happily for you, there is a perfect solution!
- Close your eyes
- Take a deep breath
- Go inside and ask yourself what you want to do
That’s all there is to it! What do you want to do? What will feel the most comfortable to you?
Here’s a tip: Would you be buying a gift at this particular point in time if it were not Christmas or Hanukah? Would you be inviting this man or woman to your family celebrations, office parties, or parties at the homes of friends if it were not Christmas or Hanukah?
If your answer is “no” then please don’t do it! If you aren’t sure, please don’t do it!
Don’t artificially accelerate the momentum of your relationship to accommodate the season of the year. Protect and preserve the nature and structure of your relationship at all costs. It’s worth it!
The hard part is finding the words to tell someone else what you want to do or don’t want to do. Here are two sample mini conversations to handle gift-giving and invitations to holiday celebrations:
More from YourTango: Agreements: The Road Map for Success
…I am enjoying dating you and getting to know you. I want you to know that I feel awkward about the whole gift-giving dilemma. While I am a generous person and I like giving and receiving gifts, I am not comfortable giving you a gift or receiving a gift from you at this point in our relationship.