Seize the day and make it yours.
Valentine's Day is just around the corner. If you're single you may be anticipating the day with a sense of dread, fear or sadness. I've been there and I didn't like it. It seems that everywhere you look there are reminders of romance and the love you think you're missing. But there's a way to seize the day and make it yours!
Here are 5 tips to make Valentine's Day a good day this year:
- Have a girls night: Invite your single friends for a pajama party, watch movies (I reccomend The Heat with Sandra Bullock), do face masks, eat fun food and enjoy each other's company.
- Move your body: Movement releases your endorphins, which raise your mood. Movement gets you out of your head, which is full of those pesky negative thoughts, and into your body. Physical activity is a great tension reliever. Dance, do yoga, find a new place to walk the dog, lift weights, rearrange the furniture, or clean.
- Create something: This is a great way to distract your mind and in the end have something to show for it. Cook a new recipe, make a vision board or paint a picture. When you're absorbed in the creative process hours pass by without you noticing.
- Give back: Make a plan to volunteer somewhere that needs your help. Visit a nursing home and give out flowers. Go to a hospital and read to a child. Find a shelter and walk a dog. That way you can move your body and give back.
- If none of these feels right—just ignore it: Declare that it's your day! Make it special by doing only what you want. Get up when you want, go where you want, eat what you want, go to bed when you want. Savor it! Bury yourself in a book, rent videos and have fun at home. Take a bath, have food delivered and take a break from the outside world. Unplug and enjoy the quiet. Take control of the day and make it yours.
Valentine's Day, like every other day, is only 24 hours long. That's not a long time to get through when you think about it. So this year, make your plans ahead of time and you'll be making Valentine's Day a good day.
You can watch my interview, Surviving Valentines Day When You're Single on AZTV's "The Morning Scramble."
More Valentine's Day ideas on YourTango:
- 7 Perfect Valentine's Day Ideas For Singles
- 9 Unconventional Valentine's Day Ideas
- 10 Gifts NOT To Give Her On Valentine's Day
This article was originally published at It's Never Too Late to Marry . Reprinted with permission from the author.