“Who told you that sex is dirty? Sex is not your creation it is God’s gift. It is God’s gift to enjoy and celebrate. It is participating in the great festival that existence is. All life exists through sex and all life grows out of it.”
The following thoughts are from Deepak Chopra sharing his insights on sex and spirit.
1. Sexual energy is the primal and creative energy of the universe. Everything that is alive was born out of sexual energy. In humans, sexual energy can be creative at all levels ---- physical, emotional and spiritual. In any situation where we feel attraction, arousal, awakening, alertness, passion, interest, inspiration, excitement, creativity and enthusiasm sexual energy is at play.
2. Sexual desire is sacred and chaste. The suppression of sexual energy is false, ugly and unchaste.
3. During sexual union there is union between flesh and spirit.
4. The essence of sex is bliss, ecstasy and playfulness.
5. To improve your sexual experience, get rid of your expectations in three areas. Performance, exemplified in the question, “ How am I doing?”
Feeling, exemplified in the question, “How am I feeling?”
Security, exemplified in the question, “Do you love me?”
6. In sex, as in all areas of life, resistance is born of fear. All resistance is mental. It implies judgment against what is being felt. Sex becomes problematic when it is mixed with hidden emotions like shame, guilt and anger.
7. Sexual intimacy is a taste of true freedom because it is the one area of life in which we can become completely uninhibited and free like healthy, playful children.
8. Sexual fulfillment occurs when the experience comes from playfulness not need. When sex is used to fulfill needs, it leads to addiction. When it comes from playfulness, the result is ecstasy.
9. All problems related to sex, neurosis, deviancy, sexual misbehavior, violence, or abuse can be traced to resistance, suppression, and repression ---- not to the sexual urges themselves.
10. Sex is a means of escaping our little self or ego. It is many peoples’ only experience of meditation.
11. Meaningful sex has to be value based. Values are personal. Each situation that has sexual energy in it, involves the whole human being and their value system. My values may be different from yours, and I have no right to be the moral judge of anyone’s values. It is important, however, to have and respect core values. Without values we become spiritually bankrupt. Sexual experiences will always be joyful if lovers share the same values.
12. True intimacy is union between flesh and flesh, between subtle body and subtle body, between soul and soul. Sexual energy is sacred energy. When we have restored the sexual experience to the realm of the sacred, our world will be chaste and divine, holy and healed.