4. Produces healthy sperm. We know men are proud of their sperm counts, but now we can be, too. Several studies show that men who have frequent sex have higher volumes of semen, a higher sperm count and a higher percentage of healthy sperm compared to men who have infrequent sex. This is good news for women, as research shows the absorption of semen helps us combat depression, boosts our energy and even helps us have a smoother delivery, if we're pregnant. Keys To Happiness: Wealth, Weddings, Semen
5. Reduces stress. Life is stressful. And while there are many proven ways to cure stress: daily exercise, evening glass of wine, bitch-fest with a BFF, morning meditation, a walk on the beach and so on—a good, old-fashioned sex session does the trick, too! Though blood pressure levels spike during the act itself, maintaining a healthy sex life helps us keep blood pressure and stress levels low.
6. Strenghtens nails. The same sex-triggered hormones that make your skin glow also make our nails strong, which means less splitting and breaking, and longer-lasting manicures.
7. Improves heart health. Want your guy to live to 100? Sex can help! Research shows that men who have sex 2+ times per week have a lower risk of heart disease than those who have sex less than once a month. Of course, I've yet to meet a guy who needed cardiovascular research to convince him to have more frequent romps in the sack, but isn't it nice to know we are helping our guys' hearts whenever we have sex?
8. Zaps zits. Say bye-bye to acne treatments and miracle pills! Sex balances our hormone levels, which results in clearer skin. Probably good we didn't know this in high school...
9. Keeps us hydrated. Now here is some real science for you: sex improves circulation, so our blood flows more efficiently, which in turn gives our bodies the moisture they needs to stay healthy. Translation: no more dry skin. Furthermore, having sweaty sex can be like a facial for your skin, as sweat expels excess dirt from our pores. Your man: the sex god and the esthetician!? Who knew?
10. Acts as a natural pain killer. Oxytocin, one of the chemicals released during sex, increases endorphins and decreases pain, particularly headaches—which means that standby headache excuse isn't going to cut it anymore. Sex also speeds up the healing of wounds, even stubborn sores like those suffered by diabetics. Before heading to the medicine cabinet, see if a quickie can't cure minor ailments!
11. Sheds pounds. Got a few pounds to lose but aren't willing to abandon your love affair with hot wings and chocolate cake? Sex could be an option! While it may not be as productive at weight loss as more traditional cardio or strength training, we burn an average of 170 calories per hour of active sex, which is about a pound after 21 hour-long sessions. There are certainly worse ways to lose weight.
12. Lowers our risk of cancer. We love our guys, so let's love their prostates too by helping them get off more often. Studies show that men in their 20s who ejaculate 5+ times a week reduced their risk of prostate cancer by a third, and older men reporting 21+ ejaculations per month lowered their risk as well. As for us ladies, regular sex has been shown to reduce our risk of breast cancer.
13. Fights cavities. Turns out that semen is chock-full of zinc, calcium and other tooth decay-fighting minerals that benefit us when our bodies absorb it. While having lots of sex can't replace a biannual trip to the dentist, having extra doses of these minerals certainly can't hurt our pearly whites.
14. Helps us sleep. Ever wondered why your man konks out after sex? Turns out, he's not trying to avoid a cuddle session. The oxytocin released during orgasm is to blame. The next time you can't sleep, skip the warm milk or sleeping pill, and try getting busy instead.
15. Strengthens our bond. Oxytocin is known as the "love hormone" because it helps people build trust and bond with one other. The more sex a couple has, the more oxytocin is exchanged and, by default, the more bonded they feel. Oxytocin increases feelings of generosity, too, so if you wind up with more random acts of kindness like surprise flowers, you have this miracle hormone to thank.
16. Makes you feel sexy! There is good sex and then there is GREAT sex, and one of the differentiators is your self-esteem. When you feel amazing about yourself, sex is infinitely better. But here is the catch—having sex actually boosts your self-esteem. So the next time you're feeling so-so on the sexy scale, see if a good romp doesn't help. How To Feel Good About Your Body In Bed
To really make this advice work, you need to follow these action steps to complete today's challenge.
Right now, I want you to:
Increase your sexcapades!
I get it. Sex can easily get deprioritized in your life when your life is overtaken by seemingly more important stuff like your fabulous job, a packed social calendar, raising superstar kids, arms length errand lists and so on and so on. But, to take advantage of all of the health and beauty benefits that come with sex, you can't just be thinking about it, you have to be doing it!
Thus, it is time to reprioritize your busy life and start putting sex at the tippity top of your to do list. Get creative—consider morning sex if you are zonked in the evenings, remember that quickies totally count, try putting sex right smack dab in the middle of your fave weekly Tivo'd TV show. If need be, pull out your calendar and schedule a couple times a week to get you started. And remember, the more you do it, the more you will likely want it.
Within 7 days I want you to:
Create a seduction sanctuary.
To make sex a routine activity in your life, you need a space that inspires the act. Start with the basics:
1. Get rid of all the clutter in your bedroom. Think a Zen-like haven here—a grown-ups only environment where you can retreat to unwind and relax. Clutter creates anxiety; an uncluttered space will help create the relaxation that precedes passion and seduction.
2. Get a lock for your door if you have kids.
3. Buy a set of luscious linens—high quality thread count and a color that is appealing to you and your spouse.
4. Swap out harsh reading light for soft lighting that helps you look amazing in the flesh.
5. Scatter scented candles around in easy to reach places. Scents such as basil, jasmine, lavender and vanilla all ignite sexual senses.
6. Invest in an iPod dock and create a variety of in-the-mood playlists.
7. Stock your nightstand with massage oils, lotions and other goodies that excite you.
By the end of the challenge I want you to:
Invest in your sex life.
Like all health and beauty regimens, maintaining a happy, healthy sex life is a lifelong commitment, not a one-time quick-fix program. And just like the others, this one to has to stay interesting so we don't lose steam. To ensure you don't hit a sexpiration date, don't be scared to consider purchasing sex toys, from everyday vibrators to silly games to exotic role playing toys like wigs or costumes. Invest in books that teach you new styles of lovemaking. Experiment with new oils, scents and textures to enhance your experiences. Be as creative as you can be to keep your routine as alive and energized as possible. After all, since you are going to be having so much more sex, you need to ensure that it is going to stay spicy!