10. BELIEVE THAT THINGS CAN CHANGE. There is hope for you, no matter how low you are feeling right now. You are a person whose life is valuable, who has a purpose to live out. There are people out there that will provide you with quality care. In the Christian tradition, it is said that it is God’s will for us to have life and have it abundantly. What is your higher power’s will for you? So, do not give up on your belief that you can find shalom, a wholeness and peace that envelops all of who you are.
Selected Academic References
More from YourTango: What to Do When Your Teen Child Hates You
- Blazer, Dan G. Section Introduction: Spirituality, Depression & Suicide. Southern Medical Journal, 100(7), July 2007, 733-734.
- Cooper, Lisa A., et al. How Important is Intrinsic Spirituality in Depression Care?. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 16(9), Dec 2001, 634-638.
- Desrosiers, Alethea and Lisa Miller. Relational Spirituality and Depression in Adolescent Girls. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 63(10), 2010, 1021-1037.
- Johnson, K., et al. Which Domains of Spirituality are Associated with Anxiety and Depression in Patients with Advanced Illness?. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 26(7), 2011, 751-758.
- Koenig, Harold G. Research on Religion, Spirituality, and Mental Health: A Review. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 54(5), May2009, p283-291.
- Koenig, Harold G. Spirituality and mental health. International Journal of Applied Psychoanalytic Studies, Jun2010, 7(2), 116-122.
- Springer, Mychal B. et al. Spirituality, Depression, and Loneliness Among Jewish Seniors Residing in New York City. The Journal of Pastoral Care and Counseling, 57(3), Fall 2003, 305-318.
- Wittink, Marsha N., et al. Losing Faith and Using Faith: Older African Americans Discuss Spirituality, Religious Activities, and Depression. Journal of General Internal Medicine, Mar2009, 24(3), 402-407.
- Yi, Michael S., et al. Religion, Spirituality and Depressive Symptoms in Patients with HIV/AIDS. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21(S5), Oct 2006, S21-S27.