What do you do when you're newly single and over 50?
It never ceases to amaze me the number of women in their 50s who come to me because they've had it with their relationship, but they're afraid they will never find another man.
So let's just dispel that rumor once and for all. YES, there is life after fifty, and it doesn't stop just because you got a divorce! Many people will continue to have the same friends they did prior to getting a divorce. Others will find that a subset of their friends no longer associate with them.
This can be for a variety of reasons: they aren't comfortable associating with someone who is single, they are jealous of your newfound freedom and don't have the strength to make changes in their own situation, they feel a sense of obligation to your ex, they were never your friend to begin with, and the list goes on and on.
Now, what are you going to do? There are a number of ways you can meet new and exciting people to do things with. Many of these might require a little dose of courage. Some options might include:
- Find a Meetup group (www.meetup.com) that shares common interests and GO!
- Join Our Time (www.ourtime.com) to meet singles of the opposite sex who are also over 50.
- Plan activities with single friends and family members.
- Attend concerts or other activities (you're bound to meet others who share your interest).
- Take a singles cruise!
- Sign up for cooking classes.
- Join your local gym.
- Join a book club.
- Take dance lessons.
- Learn to ski, scuba dive, or whatever else you've always wanted to do.
- Take on a part-time job.
- Take your grandchildren hiking.
- Learn to paint (there are wine and paint shops popping up all across the country).
- Learn a new language.
- Attend free lectures or seminars at the local university.
Remember, just because your marriage ended, doesn't mean your life did. This is a great opportunity to find out what really brings you pleasure and meet other people who enjoy the same things in life. You are never too old to start over. Don't let fear stand in your way.
More single advice from Yourtango:
- Newly Single? How To Make A Fresh Start
- Why You Shouldn't Sweat Being Single
- Dating: Advice, Etiquette & Tips