If this is your first Thanksgiving on your own, you may be wondering how you're going to handle spending the holiday on your own. Maybe in the past you spent it with family, or you had your own family meal. Either way, if you find yourself alone this Thanksgiving, the ideas below just might help you figure out what to do!
- Give yourself an at home mani/pedi
- Volunteer at the local animal shelter
- Invite other Single friends to your house
- Start a new fitness routine
- Have a Lost (or Breaking Bad, or whatever suites your fancy) TV marathon
- Read a good book
- Clean out your closet / dresser / basement
- Decorate for Christmas
- Plan a vacation
- Sign up for an online dating service
- Have a good old fashioned cry
No matter what you ultimately decide to do, remember, Thanksgiving is just one day out of the year. If you find yourself feeling sad or lonely, remember that's perfectly normal. It doesn't matter if you initiated your divorce, or not, and it doesn't mean that it's always going to be this way.
The holidays can be painful, but spending time focused on taking care of yourself, or helping those less fortunate than you, can be incredibly fulfilling. Who knows, you may establish a new tradition to share with someone special in the coming years.
More single advice from YourTango: