Join me in a making a commitment to choose happiness this year, no matter what!
We are entering into a new year, and for most people it's a time of setting goals and resolutions. Have you started that process?
Wherever you are with your plans for the New Year, I want to shake things up for you. I want you to step outside of your box and experience the exhilaration of living on the edge of your own comfort zone.
You see, making 2014 your best year requires more than just setting resolutions and intentions. It involves personal transformation by setting and achieving goals that matter most. Living your best year involves a commitment to a way of being. It's realizing that life is full of choices and that we are each empowered to make choices that bring us the most joy, the most growth, and the most fulfillment.
A powerful lesson I learned from a bevy of iconic women is that the key to a happy and fulfilling life involves taking risks and stepping out of your safety zone. According to these inspiring women, that's when life becomes magical and you are truly living into your genius and greatness.
As motivating as that sounds you may be saying to yourself, "That seems kinda scary. My life may be a bit boring but routine suits me because I know what to expect and I like being in control...."
Does this sound familiar?
In the spirit of this theme I am committed to speaking my truth—even if it's a little risky—because I want to shake things up for people and nudge them in the direction of their bliss.
Living a routine life will suck your spirit dry! You'll be parched, wilted, lifeless, dreamless with about as much energy as a sloth on a hot summer day. It's time to follow your dreams and drink deeply from the well of the unknown. The excitement of the risk will make you feel vibrant and alive!
Now you might be thinking, "How does one do that?"
Truth be told all it takes is an intention to make 2014 the year you live fully, a willingness to be open to new experiences, and a commitment to bring forth consistent courage. This means reflecting, identifying and overcoming those things that keep you in your rut. Then coming up with new behaviors and structures that are in alignment with who you want to become; the you that embraces life and all it’s opportunities; the you that is determined to live your best life one choice at a time.
To get you started I want to share an exercise I’ve used that will empower you to make 2014 your best year.
These 3 tips given by self-love author, Christine Arylo, are very powerful and energizing. You'll need three pieces of paper and a pen—go ahead and get that now.
1. On one page write down all the physical stuff you don't want to bring into 2014—items that take up space and keep you attached to the past. Next take action to clear it out. Get rid of old clothes or trinkets that remind you of unhappy times or unhealthy people. Bag it up and throw it out. Or even better, donate it to a charity. Clearing out the physical stuff that keeps you attached to negative memories will free you from both the physical and emotional baggage. Move it out and move forward sister!
2. On the second page write down all the relationships you want to release and/or set the intention you only want to have joyful and happy relationships. I had already released a friendship that no longer served me so I did the latter and committed myself to only healthy loving relationships. If you are releasing connections, send love to those you are releasing and then let go. To physically symbolize this release, you can burn the list in a safe place like your fireplace.
3. On the third page list the emotional things you don't want to bring into 2014—this can be old limiting patterns that don’t serve you anymore like guilt, shame, blame, avoidance, anger, and/or sadness. It might be obligations, or unhealthy habits. I'm giving up anger which is all ego driven. I am aware that whenever I feel disempowered my unhealthy pattern is to become angry which fills me up with a false sense of power. I'm choosing to master my mind and empower myself with healthy thoughts and behaviors.
Doing this exercise will make you feel lighter and as you feel lighter you'll begin to feel more energized and open. As you feel more energized and open, you’ll begin to feel more confident and as you feel more confident you’ll be more willing to take risks.
Voila! You are now living on the edge of your comfort zone totally empowered to have your best year ever.
P.S. If you're ready to experience your best year ever, I am here to support you! I'm offering a free New Year Empowerment strategy session ($150 value). You deserve to live a life you love so click on this link to schedule.
More advice on how to be happy from YourTango:
- How To Be Happy With Yourself: 5 Must-Read Tips
- Happiness Happens: 20 Tips To Increase Your Happiness
- Love: Tips & Expert Advice