3. Self-tanner. Whoever invented self-tanning lotion should get a pat on the back. Not only does it release you from having to harm your skin by exposing it to the sun but it gives you the opportunity to have color year round. Color on your legs makes them look healthy, slender and helps to mask flaws from natural discoloration or veins.
A lot of women are apprehensive about self-tanner because they know it can look unnatural and leave streaks. It takes time to do it right, if you're doing it yourself. So take an afternoon to treat yourself and make sure you thoroughly exfoliate your legs first. Follow the directions on the package to the letter and the only thing you'll have to worry about is how to keep roving eyes off of your golden-looking legs. Buy self-tanner here.
4. Baby powder. Chances are the last time you had baby powder on your body, your mother put it there when she was changing your diaper. But it's the naughty girl's secret weapon for ultra soft legs. Not to mention, it gets rid of the smell of self-tanner that lingers for a few days after you apply it. And unlike lotion that you have to apply religiously (and you should) to see long-term benefits baby powder gives an instant boost of softness right before the big date. Make sure your legs are dry and gently rub it into your skin. The smell and feel of your legs will be truly impressive. Buy baby powder here.
5. Body firming lotions. Body firming lotions abound on the market, some sell for $40 a jar, while others are available at your drug store for a fraction of the price. Many of them tote caffeine as an ingredient, as it helps to tighten and firm skin. Almost all of them claim to zap cellulite into oblivion. The trick isn't to buy the most expensive kind, assuming its better than the rest. The trick is to use whatever brand you buy religiously, twice per day for at least a month before you can expect to see results. Any customer review on any beauty site will tell you that whatever results you see go away when you stop using it. So, be prepared to put in the time to reap the benefits. Buy body firming lotion here.
6. Body oil. What better way to show off your exfoliating, body-brush, self-tanning, firming-lotion efforts than to rub body oil into your legs. This is like a highlighter for your skin, especially bronzed skin. The slight glow on your legs will keep any suitor's eyes glued to them. It also sends a message of confidence. Only a woman with enviable legs would dare to give them the shiny glow of body oil, right? This little mind trick will make observers forgive flaws and pay attention to the positives — trust. Just make sure you don't apply oil to self-tanner that is still setting, otherwise your bronzed skin will show streaks. Buy body oil here.
7. IPL. If you want to fix the skin color and tone of your legs, you might want to consider heading to a dermatologist for IPL Treatments. This is a special light therapy that gets rid of redness, sun spots and broken capillaries on the surface of your legs. It takes a week for the spots to fully go away, so you should plan on wearing pants for seven days, but apart from that there is no down recovery time and your legs will look younger and more touchable.
8. Spider vein treatments. Treatments for spider veins are also available through cosmetic doctors and dermatologists. Sometimes, in spite of all your efforts, you have a few of those purple lines snaking their way around your legs and topical treatments don't get rid of them. There are safe and painless procedures that don't require surgery such as sclerotherapy. It involves injecting a solution into your skin to get rid of the veins. You might need more than one session to completely rid yourself of the veins but it will be well worth it the next time you wear a bikini or a short skirt.
9. Laser hair removal. IPL, Sclerotherapy and laser hair removal all require time, money and a professional doctor consultation. Having said that, they are surefire ways to improve the appearance of your legs and get them ready for baby powder softness or body oil shine. Using a laser to zap hair out of its root, this process takes an initial six treatments and then a follow-up a few times per year. It will save you time and money in the shaving kit department, no doubt. When your hair does grow back, it's less coarse than if you had shaved. You can forget about razor burn and nicks from shaving that will disrupt the surface of your awesome legs. Each session takes 30 to 60 minutes.
10. Wear heels. Heels are your legs' best friends, especially when you're on a time crunch for performing perfect-leg prep work. You get an instant lift, instant definition, an immediate slenderizing effect and your hips will have a sway that flats don't produce. While the 2011 and 2012 seasons are showing heel heights in the four- to five-inch range, you don't have to go to such extremes, unless you want to.
Even a small kitten heel or one a couple of inches high will give your legs a boost, literally and figuratively. If you do choose a higher heel height, consider a chunky, square heel (they're all the rage right now) and a round toe. Wedges will help you walk and provide a bit more support than a pump. If the occasion calls for the pointed-toe stiletto, go for it but consider packing a pair of fold-up flats in your bag for later.