All couples have money secrets and it's time to confess yours.
Nearly every relationship harbors some level of Financial Infidelity. It doesn't matter what money personality is. It might be as minor as not telling your partner what you really spent on her birthday gift or as major as keeping a secret bank account to pay for your gambling addiction. (Find out where you stand with the Financial Relationship Index) Either way, the path to a healthy money relationship will never be smooth unless you are honest about your behavior and committed to changing your ways. How To Plan Dates On A Budget
If you've got a history of lying about spending or hiding money from your partner, it's time to come clean. You can do it!
Here are five steps to confessing it that will get your relationship on the right track, bring you both closer and help you get through the number one relationship killer:
1. Admit your Financial Infidelity to yourself. Take a good look at what you've been doing and why you've been doing it. What's behind your behavior; is it anger, control, resentment or shame? Before you tell your partner about your infidelity, you need to understand what's led you to these behaviors. This isn't about making excuses or blaming your partner, it's about being honest with yourself so you can take ownership of what you've done. No one made you do these things.
2. Be prepared for anger. Your partner is going to be angry and hurt. He or she might even resent you, especially if your financial infidelity has led to debt or other money problems. As much as we'd like to tell you this won't happen or that everything's going to be just fine, the truth is that financial infidelity is a real problem that brings with it real pain. 5 Ways Couples Can Recover From A Fight
More relationship advice from YourTango:
- In A Long-Distance Relationship? Tips To Keep The Love Strong
- Sigh. 13 MAJOR Relationship Mistakes Men Make Over And Over Again
- 4 Strangest Celebrity Family Relationships Ever
This article was originally published at The Money Couple. Reprinted with permission from the author.