Legalizing marriage for homosexuals would create a healthier and more authentic future for our kids.
Headline and front-page news salivate like Pavlov's dog as state-by-state, and country-by-country, we take on the fight over same-sex marriage. The fact that sense and sensibility are often being thrown out the door around this issue has finally got my boxer briefs in a wad, and I'm going to share a piece of my mind as to what gay marriage will do for the world ... yes, even for you heterosexuals!
Speaking from real-life experience—as someone who has been married to a heterosexual woman, spawned two beautiful daughters, and is now happily divorced and living as part of a true modern family on the other side of the closet doors—I say it from the heart that the earth would not tilt off its axis if homosexuals were allowed to marry. Nor would it lead to Fido walking down aisle with his owner Henry.
I have not married my partner and I don't know that I will until full, equal rights at the state and federal level are implemented. Nonetheless, I'm going to do everything in my power to support the cause, and get as many of my brothers and sisters in the community hitched as I can by using my voice as a vessel for humanity's struggles. And now, I will speak from my heart as to the reasons why Romeo and Romeo saying "I do" would promote good will for all, provided "all" can release their bigotry and hatred:
- Children would be less likely to be born into inauthentic marriages. It's more common than many people wish to admit. Many children are the victims of divorce because the closet door flung open ... and not because mom's shoe collection was too big, but because she wants to marry Marissa and leave Mike. Gay marriage would reduce the split-household syndrome.
- "Self-loathing" would be struck from Webster's and Dictionary.com. Think of the mental health issues that could be resolved if gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender people were no longer perceived as second-class citizens, incapable and unworthy of marrying the ones they love. Granted the "not good enough" monsters would still try to break you down because you're not pretty enough, slim enough, smart enough, or whatever. But hey, it's a starting point for ridding this planet of a curable disease called dysfunctional self-confidence.
- Economies of scale would sky-rocket. How do we rid ourselves of the national debt? Let the LGBT community marry. Marriage equals cash infusion into the local, national, and global economies. Keep reading...
More homosexuality advice from YourTango:
- 4 Common Gay Sex Myths Debunked!
- Top 10 Misconceptions About Gay People
- Accepting Bisexuality: Attraction Across Gender Lines