5. Bubbles are meant to be burst. Let's face it, most Gay Mecca’s reside within a bubble - WeHO, Soho, Castro, etc. But life does exist outside the bubble. It's how you make your gay life work outside the bubble that is the magic. Be comfortable in you and your environment can adapt.
6. They're just jealous too. All right admit it. There are bitchy people wherever you go. And if some queen wants to be bitchy because you don't fit the LGBTQ mold, just realize that is all about them and not about you. They're just jealous they have to spend so much effort to be in the inner circle.
7. Moving from one jail cell to another is just plain crazy making. Just because some say, "To be gay you have to..." doesn't make it so. And if you buy into that, then you might as well just go take up quarters at Alcatraz. I know that is kind of a fantasy...oh wait that's another post.
8. Gut punches may hurt but they don't lie. If you're feeling a little out of sorts about who you're hanging with, where you're playing, and wishing you could just find that "more" that everyone talks about, then you aren't living your authentic gay life. Rewrite and re-script. After all, that's why you came out, so now you've had the practice, so - wash, rinse, repeat until you get that clean shine of living authentically.
9. Colors of the rainbow flag are just colors. Yes each color of the Pride Rainbow flag has significance, but it doesn't mean your LGBTQ card will be taken away if you don't hang one outside your house. There are many shades of pride that represent who you are, and being LGBTQ is only one thing to be proud of in your life.
10. Your truth is your PRIDE. Regardless of how painful or joyful your coming out experience was, just being you and standing in your truth should make you proud in and of itself. It's that simple.
So as we wind down the last few days of Gay Pride Month I hope this list has helped someone somewhere see,
It's ok to be gay and be the gay me just as I am.
Happy pride month everyone! I even extend that to you heterosexuals!
Struggling with Coming Out? Sign-up for a Complimentary Consultation with Coming Out Coach Rick. Not quite there yet? Then listen each week to The Coming Out Lounge for inspiring stories, tips, and advice for stepping into your sexual truth.