1. My Body Is My Currency. Doesn’t mean he’s a man whore, or turns tricks to be invited on jet set all gay cruises around the world. Gay men have an innate connection and know that their body image is currency for everything – career promotions, getting in on ground breaking investments, surrounding themselves with hot guys, etc. They know from the inside out that their body gets them what they want. And it doesn’t matter if you’re a smoldering, dark haired Greek Adonis in a Speedo, or a smiling, good natured, chunk a hunk of hairy Bear meat (big heavy hairy guys are called Bears, just FYI)...your body is your currency in the gay world.
2. The Body Is To Be Adorned. Whether they’re adorning their bodies in the latest fashion or extravagantly wrapping themselves up in costume change #12 on an all-gay cruise, gay men adorn their bodies. It’s a right of passage – “You gave me this body so let’s decorate it!” Gay men celebrate not only the physical beauty of their body’s; they also allow themselves to play dress up daily - whether it's for work or play. It’s part of the “me feel good being me mentality!”
3. Bodies should be stimulated. Yes gay men love to have sex. Maybe more than the average DICK...literally. But this too is an assumption. Not all gay men are “players.” However, gay men do see the beauty and benefits of regular sexual activity. Ok 10 times a day is an addiction, but 10 times a week is delicious...with the right person or persons. The stimulation of sex (and I’m no sexpert) releases stress, increases laughter (not because of the size of Mr. Happy...well I guess it could), and calls in greater levels of intimacy and joy. So honestly? Tell me again what’s wrong with sex? And when you're comfortable stimulating your body, then your also at a level of peace with your body.
4. For granted Doesn’t Mean Forgotten. Age shifting is eminent for most of us. The tata’s fall, the glutes become cheeky, and the hair just disappears. Gay men seem to have this magical power to never take any of their body parts for granted even when what the “once was” is on the verge of being forgotten. Of course there is a posse of gay men who go under the knife of preservation and bully for them. More often than not, the remainder live by the words of Tim Gunn “Make It Work!” In those “make it work moments,” gay men snap their fingers and “bald becomes sexy,” “muffin tops becomes cushion,” and “WooHoo, I ‘m now a silver daddy!” The point, work with what ya got girl!
5. Accept yourself once and for all. This isn’t the lazy way out, and trust me, it’s one of the hardest things for gay men to contend with. Once the gay man decides to step out of the “Peter Pan Syndrome” and into the “I’m a man syndrome,” the whole game changes. Doesn’t mean they step into perfect relationships, or their sexual urges slow down, and suddenly they’re at ease with letting their body go untended. It simply means they maturely accept themselves for who they are from the inside out and “work it girl like they’re on the Project Runway catwalk!” It’s called mature confidence to see and be you at any age.
This non-discriminatory formula is available to everyone – gay, straight, male, female. The only caveat is this. If you use it, use it for you and not for someone else. It’s your body to have peace with, not someone else’s. Being at peace with a body like Beyonce’s or Ryan Reynolds is great motivation. I just prefer to let Ryan be an active part of my “body stimulation” exercises...but that’s just me...the gay guy having delicious visions of...ummmm.
More from YourTango: Ellen Page & Coming Out: Breaking News Or Business As Usual?
Come to terms with your body and the peace will set you free!