Clad in black robes and beholding to their sworn commitment, SCOTUS (Supreme Court Of The United States) did what they do best, delivered rulings on cases from the high court. Not unusual, except for the fact that on June 26th they, God Bless them, shifted the Unites States slightly off center by some accounts and a little more to the left, by giving us damn gays and lesbians approval to be families, couples, married and granting us the same 1,138 Federal Rights that other married couples have with their rulings on DOMA and Prop 8. Dang, I guess we’re no longer second-class citizens. I’m sure Michelle Bachmann is turning in her grave that she’s not even crawled into yet.
These historic gay rights rulings does beg the question, "Now what?" Well, I’m not going to answer the legal questions for you. You’re capable of websurfing that on your own. However, I want to celebrate my existence as a gay man and possibly in the future as a gay married man, as finally being recognized for "being created equal" by giving you a human perspective of what I believe could now happen.
The Hopeful Unsung Blessings Of DOMA and Prop 8 Dying!
- "Coming out" becomes passé terminology that is no longer needed.
- Mixed orientation marriages don’t even make it to altar because people have the courage to say, "I’m gay," preventing unnecessary heartbreaks, broken homes and child custody battles.
- Self-hate and self-loathing take a back seat to self-love and confidence, because being gay is "A OK!"
- The innocence of a child saying, "My mommies just got married," will remain just that...a nonchalant, loving, excited phrase that only a child filled with innocence can bring to this world.
- Two guys, walking down the street holding hands, will hold a prominent place in the global picture album of, "Love is Love!"
- The Gay-Straight Alliance, Human Rights Campaign, The Trevor Project, GLSEN and many other worthy LGBT non-profits can disband, allowing their funding to be used to get America "Back To Work!"
- Dan Savage’s endearing work on the "It Get’s Better Project" changes it’s name to "It Got Better Project."
- Stress, cheating and lying reduce as people become more honest with themselves and others about their sexual orientation.
- Drug and alcohol abuse diminishes, as people see no need to numb the pain around being gay and being considered sub-human.
- The value of who you are as a person is based purely upon who you are as a person, not who you lovingly crawl into bed with at the end of the day. Keep Reading...
More homosexuality advice from YourTango: