I’ve met so many couples whose main relationship complaint boils down to not feeling appreciated by their partner.
It’s so easy to take each other for granted and to get caught up in a pattern of not expressing your appreciation of each other.
So what can you do to really let your partner know how grateful you are for everything that they do?
The first step is to think about all the special things that your partner does for you (and even better, how about making a list!)– not only physical things like taking out the garbage or making your favorite dinner. How about the way that he/she is sensitive to your feelings? Or makes an effort to be respectful to you in front of the kids? It’s all the little (as well as the big) things that count.
Once you have all these things in mind, it will be really easy for you to appreciate your partner and to show them how much everything they do for you means to you.
Here are 5 ways to show appreciation in your relationship:
- Make a point of always saying ‘thank you’ to each other, each and every time that your partner does something thoughtful for you
- Compliment each other as everyone likes to have positive reinforcement! Complimenting your partner on specific kindnesses will definitely let your partner know that you appreciate him/her
- Do something that’s important to him/her e.g. surprise your wife with flowers for no particular occasion – this will make her feel very special and appreciated
- Make an effort to work on any habits that annoy each other so that your partner knows that you are mindful of his/her feelings e.g. if it upsets your husband when you talk on your mobile phone during dinner time, make an effort to turn your phone off during this time
- Remember: Say ‘I love you”… with feeling. This may seem like a simple thing to do, but couples often forget to (or struggle to) say these 3 words. Hearing them (said with meaning) can make a huge impact on your relationship.
More Juicy Content From YourTango: