More and more women are feeling that they are out of control around their sexual expression. If you suspect this might be you, ask yourself:
- Do you feel desperate for sexual connection?
- Do you feel less than women who have a partner?
- Do you think about sex a lot?
- Do you look for a sex partner in a bar, on the internet, in personal ads, in line at the store, everywhere?
- Do you watch porn?
- Do you masturbate to: porn, dating sites, movies and/or television programs?
- Do you feel guilty when/if you say no to sex?
Just because you like to masturbate or have sex doesn’t mean that you are a sex addict or that you have problem. However, if your sex life is keeping you from the connection you want to have, if you feel out of control in your sexual expression, then it may be time to reach out for some help. To understand how sex addiction has become a problem, it helps to understand the impulses and motivations that are driving your behavior. Gaining understanding about these influences, it is possible to work with the urges and impulses as they arise. With help and support you can find a way to the natural pleasure and connection that your sexuality offers.
More from YourTango: 6 Benefits Of Quitting Porn
Paldrom Collins is a former Tibetan Buddhist nun and co-author of A Couple’s Guide to Sexual Addiction: A Step-by-Step Plan to Rebuild Trust & Restore Intimacy. Working with her husband and sex addiction expert George Collins at Compulsion Solutions, Paldrom counsels individuals and couples across the country.