It’s time to set your new intentions and goals.
It’s January, that time of year again when we set new intentions and goals. But are you setting the kind of goals that will bring love into your life this year? It turns out there are some “do’s” and “don’ts” that can make a huge positive difference as you set your goals for 2014, especially if you’re ready to find love:
- Be intentional. It’s far too easy to let another year drift by, taking no particular action, and hoping something will magically happen to improve your love life. Setting powerful intentions frames your mindset and stimulates new behaviors. Set intentions such as “I am open to new relationships,” and “I am committed to taking steps each week/month to meet new people and expand my social life.”
- Hope is not a good strategy. Sitting around hoping that the pizza delivery guy will turn out to be Prince Charming is a formula for disappointment and a repeat of the year before. To make a positive change, you need 3 things: powerful intentions (“I will meet my soul mate this year.”), strong goals (“I will join two online dating services; I will go out to social events where I can meet new people at least twice every month”), and ACTION (do what you said you would do).
- Unpack your emotional baggage. Walking around with old pain, resentment, and regret is like painting a sign on your back that says “keep away unless you are also deeply damaged.” DON’T go on dates with new people while you are still swimming in emotional residue. Journal (see www.journalwithin.com), meditate, talk it over with friends, but do all these things with the aim of letting go of your baggage. Get professional help if you need it. DON’T let another day go by in which you invest energy in the past except for learning purposes.
- DO get as healthy spiritually, emotionally, physically, and financially as you can be in preparation for dating. DON’T go out to meet people hoping that someone else will magically fix your life. Fix it yourself first and you’ll attract someone else who is healthy and whole.
More love advice from Yourtango:
- 25 Romantic Ways To Say 'I Love You'
- 5 Ways To Be Happy About Your Love Life Right Now!
- The Best Sex Advice On YourTango
This article was originally published at Love Strategies with Nina Atwood, the Singlescoach . Reprinted with permission from the author.