I love Pop music. At 36 years old, I can tell you I’m a Pop music junkie. I grew up on Michael Jackson and Madonna; the 80’s were outstanding Pop years. I’m thrilled this current generation of Pop entertainers is as exciting as the stars of the 80’s. Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, and Rihanna have proven to be unstoppable! In fact, Rihanna’s latest single is so hot, I’m fairly certain I have self-inflicted hearing loss from playing “Only Girl (In The World)” at an obscene volume on my iPod…
Personal life aside, Rihanna has cemented herself in pop history. Forget about her hairstyles or boyfriends, its Rihanna’s music which keeps us coming back for more. Her latest single, “Only Girl (In The World)” is infectious as it is intoxicating. Once you’re drawn in by the pulsating beat, you get lost in the lyrics. As for the lyrics, I find the chorus particularly intriguing. The chorus commands your attention:
“Want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world. Like I'm the only one that you'll ever love. Like I'm the only one who knows your heart. Only girl in the world... Like I'm the only one that's in command. Cuz I'm the only one who understands how to make you feel like a man.”
If you dissect these lyrics, you are left with one raw detail: the truth.
This song and its true meaning are 100% applicable to the dating marketplace. “Only Girl (In The World)” transcends gender, race, religion, ethnicity, and sexuality. Anyone could insert themselves into this song and make the words relevant to their life. Whether a person is actively dating, or in a long-term relationship, these lyrics are significant to both men and women. Every woman wants to feel like she’s the only girl in the world, just as much as every man wants to feel like he is the only boy in the world. And when it comes to romance, everyone wants to feel like they are in command.
To celebrate Rihanna’s reign atop the Billboard Hot 100 Chart, here are 5 ways “Only Girl (In The World)” can boost everyone’s dating confidence:
1. Believe it: If it’s a good fit, believe in your relationship. Whether you’ve been dating for 5 days or 5 months, have faith. Positive thinking will propel your relationship to a higher level!
2. Show it: Show your partner you are the only one who knows their heart. By paying attention to their needs, you will be able to show them you are truly invested.
3. Say it: Tell your partner how you feel. Strive for effective communication; be honest. Save the games for the kids on the playground!
4. Do it: Be an active participant in your relationship. Take command; suggest a fun date night or activity.
5. Rock it: Rock your Pop attitude. Be fun, flirtatious, and entertaining. Relationships are supposed to be fun! Save the dull and boring for your tax accountant.
The next time a Pop song comes on the radio, turn it up! From breakups to falling in love, you can learn a great deal about the human condition by listening to Pop. Katy Perry, Rihanna, Nelly, and Ne-Yo are here to offer up their theories. When analyzed, Pop music can be insightful. Ne-Yo’s “Closer” is spot-on. And Katy Perry’s “I Kissed A Girl” is quite telling… Just like Pop music, relationships should have a good rhythm. If the rhythm is strong forge ahead. If your relationship is without a beat, move on. Life’s too short to not feel love. To quote Nelly, “if you ever loved someone, put your hands up”!
Date and love boldly,