* So, You Don’t Like What You’re Seeing? What glasses or frames are you looking through? Body Image really is a function of our “frames” or glasses, our eyes, those filters or windows on our world that we create from all the cultural, social, psychological, spiritual parts of our lives coloring our perceptions.
* Media and advertisers create arbitrary “standards” for what we women are supposed to look like, designed to make us feel disempowered, needing cosmetics and fashionable clothes to make us prettier, acceptable. Have we ever bought into this one, comparing and judging ourselves by what’s outside.
More from YourTango: 10 Sneaky Tips for Getting Him To Eat Healthier
* Judging from where you stand…
The majority of us as women (some studies show up to 93%) have a negative body image. This is not just mental, it’s physio-chemical. We’re constantly creating and recreating our own reality, including our own bodies by the thoughts and emotions running through us. Our nervous systems are constantly secreting a lightning storm of chemicals in response to our thoughts and moods. So, your mind literally becomes your body. Watch the Movie “What the Bleep Do We Know” to learn more about this.
* The Biology of Belief and Molecules of Emotion Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton and Molecules of Emotion by Candice Pert are two excellent books that can also help us understand the science underlying how we create our own reality.
* Did you know that all the cells in our body are replaced every seven years?
Then how come we still look the same or worse year after year?. It’s our beliefs, attitudes and expectations-- including our emotions, judgments --that continually shape who we are, including our body. Our body is a mirror, a reflection of what’s inside.
More from YourTango: Help! My Fiance Has Unhealthy Eating Habits
* Yet, You KNOW You’re NOT That Body..
Your Body is a Vehicle, your vehicle carrying you through life, in some ways just like your car. But you know you are NOT that body, just like you are not your thoughts. You use them, experience them, but that’s not WHO You really are. You KNOW you’re not just that body, and you’re certainly not just a CONsumer, either. (Except that most of us have allowed ourselves to be CONNED into “Buy, Buy, Buy”).
* What about Your Other Bodies? Other Bodies?
Yes, your mental, emotional and spiritual bodies. Body Image isn’t just physical, it’s a body, mind, heart, and soul issue. And it includes all the mix of perceptions, imagination, emotions and sensations that our own dynamic, personal family within us experiences on a daily basis.