The only way to achieve the impossible is to put your mind to it. Step up!
Is anything possible? Is achieving true happiness possible?
Last Friday, I did something I've always wanted to do and came out with much, much more. I completed my first charity challenge of the year—a firewalk!
Sadly, I lost my mom just over 2 years ago and wanted to raise money for the National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society, as this was the main cause for her death. I managed to raise £600 in 1 ½ weeks, just in time for her birthday. I'm sure this would have made her proud.
We had training before we took our short walk over the hot burning coals (on 1,000 degree heat). Little did I know what was in store for this challenge.
The instructor gave us some basic NLP training and suggested that whatever we want to achieve stem back to what we focus our attention on. If you focus on being scared and burning your feet, don't be surprised with the outcome. For me, as a coach, this was all good stuff I was familiar with.
As part of the training, the first thing we were to achieve was to snap a wooden arrow in half with our throat, followed by 5-6 steps of walking on broken glass, and then we would finish on the firewalk. I never thought that this was possible, but I blew myself away and achieved all 3 without a single bruise, cut, or burn. It was awesome and totally possible.
My favourite quote sums it up nicely: "When you change the way you look at things the things, you look at change." -Wayne Dyer
So, what's the secret behind anything being possible?
- Have the right mindset. Whatever you are trying to achieve, begin to focus your mind on it.
- Think about what you are thinking about. Become aware of your thoughts you normally think about and what may go wrong, as opposed to what we want. Have you noticed that?
- Focus on what you want, not what you don't want. Now that you are aware of your thoughts, refocus on what you want to achieve and remember the mind does not distinguish between do and don't. If you don't want chocolate, the last thing you want to say to yourself is, "I don't want chocolate." You may want to say or think about eating healthy.
- Make sure you are in a feel good state. The easiest way to do this is think back to a situation where you felt really good, stand up, and shout YES! You may want to do this somewhere private, unless you don't mind coming across as a bit of a lunatic.
- Visualize yourself doing it. Research suggests you are more likely to succeed if you can visualize yourself doing it really well. Have a go at this; it's really powerful.
- Focus your attention on your intention. Keep your attention on what you intend at all times, and don't let yourself get distracted from the end goal.
- Just do it! There is no point in procrastinating. Now it's time to just do it and see what happens.
Good luck in whatever it is you want to achieve. Yes, it is absolutely possible. I believe anything is. When I went to do my firewalk, I didn't know what to expect, whether or not I would be able to do it. I had every intention of doing it and I came out with so much more. How will you know unless you give it a try?