The longest standing pageant in America is the Miss America pageant which began in the 1920s. Growing up, I would sit and watch the Miss America pageant with my family, as we watched the girls model their swimsuits and evening gowns across the stage. I can remember debating with my family which of the girls would win as the best contestant. Through the years, there’s been a host of other pageants to come about such as the Miss USA pageant and countless others with young women hungry with the hope of wearing the crown.
What is it about pageantry that appeals to so many young women you might ask? Well, other than the glitz and glamor of it, many women are transformed from ugly ducklings to beautiful swans right before the eyes of adoring fans. What most people don’t realize is the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes in the tranformation process, which makes it so rewarding and why you should want to try their tips in your own personal life as well.
More from YourTango: Stuck In A Relationship Rut?....5 Reasons To Let Go!
Sure, you may not be a pageant girl, but it may be fun to pretend and apply their style. Here are the top 10 secrets to dating like a "pageant chick." We’ll understand if you don’t want to share them with your BFF!
1. Have A Bikini-Ready (or healthy) Body: There are many health benefits to eating right and working out that go far beyond pageantry or dating. People tend to live longer when they eat nutritional meals and add a little exercise to their daily regimen. Not to mention, men tend to be attracted to women who appear to be healthy, even if they’re not a size four.
2. Get A Stylish Look For Your Hair: Add a little flair to your hairstyle whether it be a great color, cut, or add pieces to your hair that will give you the look you want for your date with that special guy.
3. Have A Fun-loving Personality: Where do you think the term, "Miss Congeniality" came from? It was created as a way to appreciate and reward the girl that was the most likeable and friendly in the competition. A woman who appears to be likeable and having fun always wins dates. Men love to be around women who won’t stress them out, but cause them to feel good while he is with her.
4. Find A Great Cause To Believe In: Many women are drawn into pageantry to promote and bring awareness to the causes they truly believe in for society. For example, if you care about saving our planet, you could do research into local opportunities in which you could help. Having a cause that you care about tends to make you more compassionate towards the needs of others and score you brownie points on dates.
More from YourTango: Oops! 6 Ways To Inadvertently Destroy A Great Relationship
5. Develop A Great Talent: How many times have you been amazed by someone who gets on stage and moves you to tears with their extraordinary talent. If you have an interesting talent that you think others will enjoy, try to develop that talent and showcase it to others. Some people think it’s beauty that wins the heart of men. I would beg to differ. I think a woman who has a special talent like the ability to sing like an angel can actually have much more of a chance. Keep Reading...
More Dating Tips From YourTango: