I’ll admit I’m a HUGE football fanatic. On any given day, you’ll see me at tailgate parties, painting my face with the team colors or performing odd rituals in hopes that my team will win the championship. Over the years, the game of football has quickly become a huge popular past time beating out baseball as the great American sport. But don’t take my word for it, just go to the grocery store on any given Sunday morning and watch the amount of people wearing the team colors in your city or state.
I encourage women to get into the game of football because men love women who follow and understand the game. Sure, they would date a woman who isn’t into the game but I’m sure most of them would prefer a woman who is so she would understand why they dedicate their whole life…um...I mean Sundays following it.
More from YourTango: Couples That Pray Together Stay Together!
So I’ve decided to write a few do’s and don’ts for women who are interested in getting into the sport and would love to have a few tips on what to do to help make their transition successful.
1. Pick A Favorite Team – Check out the local home team in your city or state. It’s much more fun to share in the victory (or defeat!) with the locals who follow the game than to pick a team in a different state where you can’t join in the festivities.
2. Be Knowledgeable About Football And Your Team! – I’ve seen guys light up when a woman knows her stuff about football. It’s like they’ve met their future wife. If you can “talk the talk”, they will love you even more. Now if you can serve up a great entrée of Buffalo wings and cook a mean pot of Chilli, then you’ll be in there girlfriend!
3. Make Friends With Other Fans (Preferably Men If You’re Single!) – Absolutely! Now ladies, this is your time to shine. There’s plenty of single men lurking at the game or in sports bars and would love to see an attractive woman in which to converse about sports and football. Even if you don’t “click” with any of those men, you’ll have met new friends (who can introduce you to more single male friends!)..wink wink!
4. Break Out That Cute Little Jersey – You know we love fashion. Why not buy a cute jersey or break out that cute outfit sporting your team colors. You can be fashionable and also fun at the same time. Just don’t overdo it! This is where you’ll shine and…um…catch the attention of a certain someone!
More from YourTango: Are You In A Dead End Relationship? 4 Questions To Ask Yourself
5. Learn To Drink Beer – Ladies, I know how you feel with this one. Many of us have not acquired the taste of beer but if you’re at a sports bar, you may find it to be a lot cheaper to learn how to drink it. I have a great tip for you on this one. Ask the bartender if they have a sweeter version of a beer which should help you transition into drinking it. They usually do have a brand of beer that is sweet just in case there’s a virgin drinker in the house!