Mick Lolekonda, Dating Coach For The Professional Woman, shares how to find love during the holidays
According to David McCandless, a British journalist, the first two weeks of December are peak times for breakups.
However, this should be no reason to miss out on opportunities for a great love connection. There are 3 qualities that will enable you to quickly bounce back from a breakup, or meet quality candidates if you are a happy single. You must be prepared, pro-active and creative.
Before attending events with friends, ask them for insider information on single individuals they know might be there. Thanks to social platforms such as Facebook, it’s become easier to view the more personal side of people thanks to their public profiles. So take a look at their profile. This will make breaking the ice a breeze and they will certainly feel flattered that you made an effort in getting to know them.
You can go as far as asking your friend to make a Facebook friend suggestion, which you should immediately follow up with a message. One that could say: “Hi, our mutual friend friend’s name had some great things to say about you and mentioned you will attend the name of event on the date. I look forward to seeing you there.” That’s being pro-active.
An alternative to going to an event is to simply host your own with single friends. This will increase your chances of meeting the right person for you by being in front of quality candidates. This type of outside-the-box thinking can lead to pleasant surprises. The soiree can be hosted anywhere including your own residence. After determining how many guest you wish to have, make it clear that hosts and their guests must invite single friends to the event.
The main benefit of having such a gathering is to be able to effectively grow your network of friends and pool of quality candidates. As a host, make sure to know who will be attending your soiree as to make everybody feel welcome and relaxed. Throughout the night, focus on making great connections, as opposed to looking to “seal the deal” that night. With this being said, here are a few pointers:
- Don’t waste the whole night thinking how to talk to the “hot” ones, but of course take advantage of the opportunity if it happens. Also, use the opportunity to talk to people who are not your “type”.
- Don’t feel you need to talk to everyone, but as a host it is your responsibility to make your guests feel relaxed by connecting with them.
- Be approachable. Make eye contact, have a warm smile and an open-body language. After all, it is your event.
- Be curious in what others have to say. If you fall in the trap of looking for someone better to talk to it will show.
- Be graceful in your exit. You may need to cut a conversation short, it happens. In this case, you can excuse yourself by offering another round of drinks. If they decline the offer, you are off the hook. If not, you’ll most likely be starting a conversation with someone else on the way to get drinks. You can then always invite your initial contact to join you and your new friend.
- Once you’ve made a great connection, agree to reconnect in the near future and follow up accordingly.
Making new friends is key to increasing your chances of finding love. You never know who will either bring you closer to your life-partner or simply end up being your life-partner.
Finally, remember to make your event fun, have a theme and enjoy the festivities.
Happy love hunting!