You've heard of the winter blues, but do you know about the summer reds?
Two very severe heat waves are upon us, so staying cool is a major concern for a lot of people. An estimated 113 million Americans will be trying to cope with excessive heat and humidity. 6 Tips For A Stress-Free, Romantic Summer Getaway
Millions more have already been suffering from what Arizona medical hypnotist Sue W. Hull calls the summer reds, a term to describe the opposite of the winter blues, which are brought on by cold and sunlight deficiencies. The term summer reds describes the annual depressive feelings generated by toxic levels of sunlight, and the stress caused by the relentless dust and oppressive, dry heat many Americans experience for as many as 6 months of the year.
The following tips have been gleaned from government websites for staying cool and beating the heat, but first, a rule that ought to be a law: Never, ever leave children or pets in a parked car; don't even think about it! Now, here are the tips:
- Stay out of the sun. If you must go out, early mornings, evenings and late nights are best.
- Stay hydrated. Drink lots of water. Summer Love: 5 Signs Your Fling Is The Real Thing
- Dress cool. Wear light colored, lightweight and loose fitting clothing.
- Use the a/c. Turn on the air conditioner and stay inside.
- Keep fresh. Cool showers and baths can be helpful.
- Keep in touch. Stay in touch with elderly family members, neighbors and friends.
- Be attentive. Keep an eye out for any signs of heat related symptoms in children and the elderly because the elderly and young children are at the greater risk for developing heat related health problems.
According to WebMD, heat related illnesses are serious and can be life threatening. The most common signs and symptoms listed below suggest that you or someone else needs to cool down:
- dark-colored urine (which indicates dehydration)
- muscle cramps
- pale skin
- profuse sweating
- rapid heartbeat
More love advice from YourTango:
- 10 Unmistakable Ways To Know He's Head-Over-Heels For You
- Why Can't I Find A Relationship?
- Dumped At The Altar, Man Finds Love In 7 Countries