Most lesbians adore many men, and in particular our dads, brothers, straight male friends and gay brothers. We don't need to be men-haters to love women. Truthfully, the idea that the right guy and his penis will make us want to be with a guy is part of the "men in lesbian fantasyland" phenomenon, and it just isn't happening. Sure, once in a while we lose one of our sisters to a guy, but that's rare.
What stereotypes are next? Well, lesbian sex, of course!
- Every lesbian uses strap-ons and dildos to take the place of men.
- No lesbians ever use strap-ons.
- It's not real sex if there's no penis.
- Every lesbian relationship has a butch and a femme, because someone has to be the man and someone has to be the woman.
- Lesbian bed death happens to all lesbian couples.
- Lesbians want to have a threesome with your bi-girlfriend/boyfriend because we'll have sex with any woman around. (Holy cow; people really believe this stuff?).
All right, are you ready? Here we go. Sex does not require intercourse or penetration by any means — whether you are straight or lesbian. Sex also doesn't require an orgasm. Sex includes kissing, stroking, licking, touching and everything in between, and it can all be extremely enjoyable. I've experienced really wonderful sex with a woman that didn't include an orgasm. I've also had my lesbian world rocked by amazing orgasms that went on and on. That never happened when I was with a man. Never. Not once. Not even close. Oh, did I mention that I used to be married and have had my share of sex with men? It doesn't begin to compare to sex with a woman.
So what's real and what's a myth? Well, lesbians do all of the "sex things" and lots more associated with lesbian stereotypes. Some lesbian couples are very butch/femme and love strap-ons and dildo play, but that's not for all lesbian couples. It also isn't required to be butch to enjoy sex toys. Lesbians of all kinds of persuasions enjoy them, and so do many straight women.
Now, let me blow your mind with some data from the National Health and Social Life Survey comparing lesbian and heterosexual women's sexual experiences. Hold on boys, it's bad news for you! Keep reading...
More homosexuality content from YourTango: