- Describe the best qualities of your son
- What are you most proud of as a mother?
- What is your biggest concern/frustration/heartbreak with your son?
- How does your relationship with your son's father affect your relationship with your son?
- How is rearing a son different than rearing a daughter?
- How have you learned to stay connected with your son?
- What advice would you give a mother with a younger son?
- Is it useful to talk to other mothers about your son?
Your ultimate goal is much like that of every loving mother: a healthy, strong son who has a loving relationship with both you and his father. While it's an on ongoing challenge, it's one worthy of both parents.
Here is some further reading I suggest for this particular subject:
Giving the Love that Heals, Harville Hendrix, PhD
The Roller Coaster Years, Charlene C. Giannetti and Margaret Sagarese
How to Say It to Boys, Richard Heyman, Ed.D
Real Boys, William Pollack, PhD
Strong Mothers, Strong Sons, Ann F. Caron, Ed.D.
Raising a Son, Don Elium and Jeanne Elium
Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys, Dan Kindlon, Ph.D.