1. Playtime does not have to cost money. In fact, a walk to a favorite destination or park may be considered playtime, and it doesn’t cost anything.
2. When you commit to the time, don’t begrudge your spouse for this “unnecessary time.” You cannot keep a relationship vital if you don’t spend time together, and being there means being actively engaged, not just showing up.
3. Take turns deciding what the activity will be. Hitting tennis balls or golf balls are both great activities, but only if you both enjoy this activity.
4. Time spent laughing and talking is all part of the playtime experience. Yoga is a great activity for playtime, but yoga is all about breathing, so save time after yoga to get together and laugh at your inflexible body.
5. Cooking and trying new recipes are favorites for many couples. Playtime is fun time, but make sure you share the not so fun times too, such as doing dishes. No one single person should be responsible for cleaning up after playtime.
Many of the couples I counsel report that they have seen a significant improvement in their marriage when they take fifteen minutes each day to have one-on-one conversation without interference. This can be multiplied by 100 if couples will take time out each day and certainly each week to spend time together engaged in an activity they like. The research has suggested that it is more likely that rather than the couple growing apart, they stopped valuing their playtime together. After all, the only way a relationship continues to grow is when partners spend time together and enjoy being together. You cannot do that if you don’t play and have fun together. –Mary Jo Rapini
For more information and MONTHLY FREE RELATIONSHIP TIP go to: www.maryjorapini.com
Talk to me on my fan page: http://www.facebook.com/maryjorapini
Tweet me: @ Mary Jo Rapini
Join me weekday Mornings for “Mind, Body, Soul with Mary Jo” on Fox 26 Houston at 9 a.m.
FREE Podcasts: Married with small children at home and keeping your relationship hot. http://traffic.libsyn.com/sexandintimacy/MJR_ep_01.mp3
How to improve a poor body image. http://traffic.libsyn.com/sexandintimacy/MJR_ep_04.mp3