Do you date guys only to have them become disinterested and marry someone else? 5 reasons why.
There is a time for dating and a time where you feel like you're ready for the next step. You want a husband, a man who will father and help raise children, who is a faithful life partner that will share their life with you. This may be an old fashioned concept, but is also an actual truth. It's part of growing up — majority of women still want a husband and family. Unfortunately with every generation it can become a major area of frustration for women.
Of course there are reasons women remain in the girlfriend arena. Like the woman who may have lived with the guy for three years only to breakup and then she discover on Facebook six months later that he's engaged to another woman. These experiences are hurtful and humbling for the woman they happen to. However, when I talk to them a few months later, I usually find they're with a similar guy who represents exactly what their ex did and who will most likely repeat the same situation again.
The number one reason you're his girlfriend and not his wife is most likely due to your choice of men. If you don't do your homework and understand yourself, your parents, and past relationships, you won't make wise choices. A study done several years ago and repeated identified qualifiers that predict more difficulty in the dating arena.
Girls who grow up without engaged dads have a tougher time making a wise choice when dating. Dads' relationship with their daughters teaches many things, but one of the most important is they model characteristics good men have. Even if dad is lacking in those, his relationship with his daughter affords her insight and understanding of men. If daughter and dad have a close relationship, it leads to stronger confidence and self-esteem developing.
The other behaviors involved with changing girlfriend status are totally up to the woman. If you are tired of feeling used or left at the altar, only to find it wasn’t “the altar” he didn’t want, it was you, these suggestions will be helpful.
- If your relationship is built upon sex instead of an emotional connection, it's more likely you'll remain girlfriend status. One of the reasons online dating actually works is due to the long emails and getting to know each other well prior to intimacy. If you think the guy is someone you really like, take your time with sex (take your time with it in all situations, women who have sex when they feel best about it are much happier).
- You move in with them in hopes it will turn into something more. Living with someone may be cheaper, but it's not the best situation. Women are wired to be heart creatures and although work is important, women thrive on emotional connection. Women who live with their partner prior to marriage are creating a living together scenario that they believe will lead to marriage. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Keep your own place. It's the best money you'll ever spend.
- Weak boundaries and always being there at his whim. When you make your life about someone else and no longer invest in your own interests or priorities you're setting yourself up to be taken advantage of. People born into homes with poor boundaries never have structure, personal space, or respect for one another. Clingers or needy women tire their partner. Keep your own goals, interests and dreams intact. Don't change your life to accommodate theirs, and encourage them with your upbeat behavior to aspire to yours.
- Passive women are sexy to insecure men. Women tell me frequently they are passive, quiet, or dishonest because they don’t want to upset their boyfriend. What? Lying to your partner is not okay, and if you feel the need to lie, you're not in a positive relationship. Advocate and stand up for yourself and your needs. Strong, smart women do not intimidate men who are secure in themselves.
When I talk to men about what they look for in a life partner they usually tell me three things consistently. They're looking for:
- A woman who takes care of herself, likes herself, and appreciates her body.
- A woman who is independent yet wants to be with them.
- A woman who has a good sense of humor and knows what she wants.
My best advice is this: Women who understand themselves and advocate for what they believe in upfront with the guy rarely find themselves in the position of a girlfriend for long. This is because guys who just want a girlfriend and nothing more won’t be interested, which saves more time for the guy who is looking for more. –Mary Jo Rapini
For more information or you FREE MONTHLY RELATIONSHIP TIPS, visit www.maryjorapini.com
Podcasts: Struggling with low libido in your relationship, married with small children at home and keeping your relationship close, improving your body image. Like me on Facebook, watch me on YouTube and follow me on Twitter.
Mind, Body, Soul with Mary Jo happens every Monday and Thursday morning 9 A.M. CST on Fox 26 Morning News. Catch Mary Jo early on Fox 26 Saturday mornings to get your RELATIONSHIP CHALLENGE for the week ahead.
More girlfriend advice from the Yourtango:
- Why Moving In With My Girlfriend Scares The Pants Off Of Me
- Dating: Tips & Expert Advice
- Boyfriend: How To Find One & Expert Advice
This article was originally published at http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/24430682/reasons-youre-his-girlfriend-and-not-his-wife. Reprinted with permission from the author.