Uterine Fibroids is an epidemic among African American women. 80% of all African American will get Uterine Fibroids. The forthcoming 'The Decision' is one of the first films to even broach the subject. A study concluded that fibroids are three times more common in African American women than Caucasian women. Fibroids are larger and may occur at a earlier age in African American women. It is unknown why there's such a difference.
Signs and Symptoms of Fibroids
More from YourTango: 5 Tips On How To Run A Successful Business
1. Abnormal menstrual cycle - Bleeding heavily during menstrual cycle and more frequently than usual.
2. Pelvic pain/pressure- Very painful menstrual cycles and experiencing pain during intercourse. Any pressure on the bladder can cause frequent urination.
3. Bleeding between cycles- Bleeding before normal cycle and in addition to normal cycle. ( bleeding before 28-30 days)
4. Pain in back or abdomen - Having unexplained pain in back or abdomen. (chronic pain)
5. Reproductive problems- Having difficulty conceiving or being unable to conceive.
The most common problem is heavy bleeding. This may lead to anemia and in extreme cases a blood transfusion. In extreme cases, a hysterectomy may be performed. It is unknown what causes fibroids or makes them shrink or grow.
More from YourTango: 10 Things You Should Know About Spike Lee
Consult your doctor if you have any symptoms and have regular checkups.
Any inquiries? You can reach me at here.