Uterine Fibroids is an epidemic among African American women. 80% of all African American will get Uterine Fibroids. The forthcoming 'The Decision' is one of the first films to even broach the subject. A study concluded that fibroids are three times more common in African American women than Caucasian women. Fibroids are larger and may occur at a earlier age in African American women. It is unknown why there's such a difference.
Signs and Symptoms of Fibroids
1. Abnormal menstrual cycle - Bleeding heavily during menstrual cycle and more frequently than usual.
2. Pelvic pain/pressure- Very painful menstrual cycles and experiencing pain during intercourse. Any pressure on the bladder can cause frequent urination.
3. Bleeding between cycles- Bleeding before normal cycle and in addition to normal cycle. ( bleeding before 28-30 days)
4. Pain in back or abdomen - Having unexplained pain in back or abdomen. (chronic pain)
5. Reproductive problems- Having difficulty conceiving or being unable to conceive.
The most common problem is heavy bleeding. This may lead to anemia and in extreme cases a blood transfusion. In extreme cases, a hysterectomy may be performed. It is unknown what causes fibroids or makes them shrink or grow.
Consult your doctor if you have any symptoms and have regular checkups.
Any inquiries? You can reach me at here.