The dating game has changed since you were in your twenties, but you don't have to feel lost!
It’s safe to say that when you’re over 40, the dating game changes significantly. You aren’t imagining it. In fact, the challenges of dating for women over 40 are so specific that getting good advice is critical to finding love with less heartache, pain, and confusion. (Fact: over one-third of Americans over 40 are single, and more than 25 million of them are women.)
As a part of the over 40 category of Dignity Daters, the same dating advice that works for 20 somethings is not always the same advice that you’re seeking. Here’s why:
- As a woman over 40, your main focus is not necessarily getting married and having babies. You may have already been married, you may already have babies, or perhaps neither is true; but either one could be a non-issue.
- The dating game has changed significantly since you dated in your twenties. Sexting. Texting. Internet dating. Speed dating. Even matchmaking. All are viable alternatives in the 21st century. If you don’t know how to use these tools or have a belief that only “losers” would use them, you may be sabotaging your success dramatically.
- You aren’t sure who to date when you’re in your 40s. Is it appropriate to date men in their 30s? What about feeling like you aren’t attracted to men in their sixties, the exact men who may be pursuing you the most online? Is it a must to find someone who’s your age exactly and can recite lines from Gilligan’s Island right alongside you?
- What are your relationship goals? Are you looking to get married? Do you want to have kids? Are you simply looking for a serious relationship with Mr. Boyfriend Material?
More Juicy Content From YourTango:
- First Date Advice For Women [EXPERT]
- 15 Relationship Mistakes Women Make
- The Best Dating Advice On YourTango