Three Chinese bachelors put their photographs on the side of a building in the hope to find love.
I read an article recently about three bachelors in China and what steps they are taking to find love. Standing 20ft tall above the Beijing traffic, the bachelors have plastered their photographs on the side of a building. The men are simply too busy to find a suitable partner due to their schedules. One of the bachelors said that he had been instantly overwhelmed with calls from lonely women looking for friendship and from aunties hoping to matchmake their relatives.
The billboard was not well received by all though, Jerry Li, the founder of a counselling website in Shanghai, said the three men were simply “showing off” their wealth and status, but I have to say, I like their creativity!
In our busy world, it is getting more and more challenging to find the right partner. Many people are either stuck in traffic on the way to and from work and are too tired to go out and meet people. Others are working from home at their computers, rarely coming in contact with another human being.
Given all the millions of people and possibilities in the world, where does one go to find a soul mate? How about the supermarket? Lurking in the frozen food section? Fondling the fruits? Standing in the checkout line? Your soul mate could be in the most unlikely, everyday place!
Believe me, I know it’s not easy to approach a stranger. When I was single and had moved back to L.A. from Chicago, I realized that this was a much different, more difficult environment in which to meet people. In Los Angeles, since people spend much of their time in their cars; very few people are walking down the street. I saw cute guys all the time driving or jogging by, but there was no way to meet them. The online thing wasn’t for me. I was sure there must be a better way than chasing after cars or joggers.
In my book, Excuse Me, Your Soul Mate Is Waiting, I talk about how looking may be the equivalent of losing. Though women should not be desperate and constantly out “looking” for the right one, at the same time Prince Charming is not going to come knocking on your door either. It’s essential that you get out and put yourself in a position to meet members of the opposite sex.
Here are 15 ideas and places to get you in front of the eligible men you are hoping to get to know a bit better!
1. Got a dog? Try the dog park; there is no better way to bond than over discussions about pedigree or training tips.
2. Start drinking coffee. Have you ever noticed the cuties hanging out at your local Starbucks or Coffee Bean with their laptops or just relaxing with a cup of java?
3. The gym. Are you sick of me telling you to get those hot-crossed buns firmed up? Need some more motivation? Scope out the available physically fit men spending their evenings pumping iron.
4. Friends. Have a pow-wow with your closest amigas and put out the word that you are looking for “the one.” They can fix you up and act as your “agent” in the game of love. Or throw one of those fun parties where everyone brings an ex that they would like to recycle!
5. Men love cars. Where to meet all kinds of men who love cars? Car shows, NASCAR races, the Indy 500 -- you get the idea.
6. Are you a wine connoisseur? Many men now are really into wine and have wonderful wine cellars to fill. Join a wine tasting club or class. Flirt and mingle over a marvelous merlot.
7. Are you a bookworm? Meet like- minded men at your local bookstore. Peruse the travel section, and you just might be planning your next trip with a new man over a cappuccino at the bookstore café.
8. Volunteer. This is an often-overlooked way to meet a great guy with a big heart. Maybe you love for animals or support fundraising for a hospice or are passionate about saving the whales. Every charity has opportunities to get involved, and they are a great way for single people to meet. It is also a more comfortable way to get to know someone since conversation is natural and most likely necessary.
9. The Apple Store. My husband’s favorite destination is the Apple Store. He is
a committed “Mac” guy, as he calls himself, and loves to check out all of the latest features and computers. On all of my trips there with him, I notice the abundance of the male species.
10. Home Depot. If you like a manly man, check out the hardware stores for handy
men to meet.
11. Have a high I.Q.? Join MENSA and hook up with a brainiac at one of their events
or parties in your area.
12. Whole Foods. I have never seen more good-looking people in one supermarket than at Whole Foods. I even ran into that dream-boat Leonardo DiCaprio at the West Hollywood location.
13. Film festivals. Every major city has their won, or even better, go to Sundance or Cannes and mingle with the creative types or producers.
14. Learn to play pool. There’s nothing sexier to a guy than a woman in a tight pair of jeans, leaning over and announcing “Eight ball in the side pocket!”
15. Are you a ham? Karaoke bars are still quite popular and a lot of fun.
So get out there and have fun! Send me a photo of you and your soulmate.