How too long of a wish list can keep you from finding your soul mate.
* "I know I'm 5'2' but I ONLY date men that are 6'0' and taller.
* My soul mate makes at LEAST a million a year.
* Oh, no, I couldn't date anyone that lives in an apartment.
* He's a Capricorn? Uh, I hate to say this, but Capricorns are not a good match with Leo's, so that won't work.
* Dark hair and light eyes. Yep, my soul mate has dark hair and light eyes.
* He drives a Toyota? Mmmmm... I don't think so.
Having a list can be productive. It can keep you on track and it's a wonderful Law of Attraction tool. It puts the wheels in motion metaphysically, meaning, you are putting your request out to the universe! But I also believe that the universe can spot B.S. So, let's get real here ladies! If you are forty years old, dying to get married and have a kid or two, but there are no prospects in sight, and your last egg is about to drop, what's a girl to do? You might want to take a reality check and look at your list. Whether your list is wirtten down in a journal, on a scrap of paper, or just in your head, you might need to do some revising, or else have a nice life; with your cat!
I have come to the sad conclusion that human beings are a shallow lot. "What?" you say. "You just figured that out?" No, I have known this for a while now, but it's a hard pill to swallow when you are a real life cupid.
Finding that person that makes your life sweeter, a best friend that has your back, a partner in crime to go on adventures with, a man to snuggle up to on a cold night watching your favorite TV shows, now that is goooood.
The challenging part of the equasion is finding a quality man that is loyal, honest and has the values that you do. If you are seeking a partner that will not be trolling Craig's list for dates when you are at work, playing video games all night, or working on adding more titles to his porn collection, then you need to whittle down your list to what is really important. Don't get me wrong, I love men and there are a lot of good ones out there, but there are a lot of bad eggs in the carton, and you want to keep the lid closed on them.
So, what should you be looking for in a Prince Charming?
Here are some things that SHOULD be on your list.
* Humor. A man that can see the funny side of life and make you laugh is gold.
* Ambition. An ambitious man with goals and dreams is sexy. A go getter will always be able to provide for his family and make you feel secure.
* Honesty. If you can't trust your man, you will be miserable. You don't want to be wondering where he is after work, or find yourself scrolling through his cell phone when he is in the bathroom. How humiliating!
* A good relationship with his mother. Sons who grow up respecting and loving their mothers tend to respect and love other women.
* Health oriented. You want to have a long, active and healthy life with your partner, not turn into a nurse maid.
What you should NOT have on your list:
* Height requirement. Women everywhere tell me that they need a tall man because, "I like to wear heels." The average American male is 5'9'. It is estimated that only about 14% of men are 6'0' and taller. So if you are stuck on having a tall man, you are cutting out over 80% of the population.There are many amazing, high quality, commitment minded men that are 5'9' and under. Get over your obession with height and you will open yourself up to finding the love of your life.
* Eye color. Some women dream of gazing into the windows of a man's soul through his baby blues. Only about 19% of the world population has blue eyes. If you are stuck on eye color, again, you are limiting yourself. You can always get a siamese cat, they have the most beeeeutiful blue eyes!
* Income. I meet many women that will not date a man if he doesn't make a certain annual income. Sure money can buy things like security and amazing vacations, but it cannot buy you love, and that rich man that you hope to land, may very well have control issues, be a workaholic, have women chasing him everywhere he goes, or be a commitment phobe. Look for character, values and stability instead of a specific income.
* Location. That fabulous guy might live in an apartment on "the wrong side of the tracks" right now, but that doesn't mean he has to stay there. The fun of being married is working towards something. Eventually you can move, or buy your dream home in another neighborhood.
* Looks. "I only date extremely good looking men." Interestingly enough, I usually hear this comment from average looking women. Of course you want to feel a physical attraction to the guy, but consider finding something sexy in his quirkiness. A crooked smile, a big nose, or a stocky build. The truth is, looks fade, and the most important qualities cannot be seen with the naked eye. Keep in mind that the hot hot guys are often what we would catagorize as "bad boys." They have women throwing themselves at them and ample opportunity to cheat. They are often heart breakers!
You don't have to kick your cat to the curb, but you don't want the title, "crazy cat lady" either, so get busy and revise your "list."