First dates are like interviews. The respect that you'd give a future employer at an interview should measure up to the respect a potential boyfriend would deserve on a first date: show up on time, dress the part, and be considerate.
So simple! And yet, so many women fail to get second dates. Are you a bad first dater? Maybe it's not them... maybe it's you!
More from YourTango: Valentine’s Advice All Boyfriends/ Husbands Should Read
1) You showed up late and failed to give notice. This is 2010, not 1994. You see that shiny thing in your hand? It's a mobile phone. Now that you've had a formal introduction, use it. Just send a courtesy text if you think you're running late.
2) You talked about a sexual experience within the first 5 minutes. This is unnecessary, unless of course, you met over Craigslist's Casual Encounters. First dates are about building sexual tension. That foundation is going to need to be laid out over at least two glasses of wine.
3) You've failed to dress appropriately. Unless you are auditioning to be an extra on the Jersey Shore, that slutty boob top and those frayed jeans are better off for your next Lady Gaga concert. I mean, sure, you could dress like a skank, but remember, skanks don't get asked out on second dates.
More from YourTango: Red Light, Green Light, Long Term Relationship
4) You ate off his plate, Did he offer? Did you ask politely? Horrible dining etiquette is a deal breaker for most. This is a first date anyway. Stop being weird. Eat your own damn food.
5) You didn't do "the gesture". Chances are, if he has any sense, he'll probably pay for the first date. Stop being ungrateful and at least offer. If he declines your gesture, which he probably will, offer to get the next round of drinks. The recession isn't over. Stop being rude.