Yes, the eyes are the windows of the soul. When you have good eye contact with someone, it instantly starts building a rapport and it shows interest in the other person. Establishing good eye contact can be daunting if you are not doing it regularly. You may feel a bit uncomfortable. Here are a few tips to try.
- A good way to start out and keep you connected to the other person is look at he area between the eyes, at the bridge of their noise. They will not even realize you are not looking into their eyes directly
- Try to maintain eye contact at least 60-70% of the time when you are speaking with someone
- You never want to stare so hard at someone they will think you are controlling. When someone is excited and interested their pupils will dilate, and shrink if they are lying or upset
- Whenever you are meeting someone for the first time or the twentieth time always look the person in the eye when you are shaking hands and repeat their name. This will nail that rapport building
- Eye contact is so important to maintain at a job interview. There have been studies about how recruiters dismiss candidates if their eye contact is not good. Lack of confidence and social skills are represented with this behavior
Over blinking, if not for allergy or contact reasons can be a sign of an overly anxious person or even someone not telling the truth