4. Figure out your body. Decide what you want to accentuate and what you want to hide. A gown can hide unwanted bits with the proper undergarments. Remember, you will be wearing it for hours. So, make sure you can maneuver in your dress. Think of a trip to the ladies room.
- Junk in the trunk? Look for fuller skirts and corsets. Put the focus on your upper body.
- Do you have the right to bare arms? Maybe you do, or consider a dress with a sheer modern sleeve.
- Big bust? V-necks, keyhole and scoop necklines are best.
- Thin frame? Add gathers, layers and heavier fabrics for bulk
- Full-figured? Consider princess and A-lines. Avoid ruffles and gathers
- Petite? Be careful not to choose a dress that will make you look like a big cream puff. You will be a little head sticking out of a mass of tulle and lace.
5. Watch your back. Make sure you look great coming and going because many people will spend more time watching your back than your front. If you choose a simple design, at least make sure the back has some interest. Planning Your Wedding? 3 Reasons To Keep It Under Wraps
6. Accessories. Now that your dress is in the bag, it is time to think about "successories." The lasting success of your look depends upon the correct accents.
- Shoes. No sneakers, please. Cute flats and kitten heels, if high heels aren't your friends.
- Jewelry. Pearls are always classic. But, heirloom pieces, diamonds and colored stones make a statement.
- Cool skin tones. Silver based jewelry and white white pearls.
- Warm skin tones. Gold based jewelry and creamy pearls.
- Wraps, shawls, shrugs and capes look great with gowns.
- Evening bag. Choose silver or gold.
7. Be aware of your bridesmaids. If you want your bridesmaids to remain your friends, consider their age, shapes and skin tones when choosing color. Coral and teal work on just about everyone. So, I suggest starting there. A good way to approach style is to let the girls pick their best silhouette and keep the dresses in the same color. With so many gowns in the stores, you don't even have to use a traditional bridesmaid dress manufacturer. Your friends will be happier as well, since they will be able to wear the dress again.