I'd like to tell you that the Rubik's Cube turns 40 this year. I'd like to tell you that Mr. and Ms. Pac-Man celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary this year. I'd like to tell you that Drew Barrymore, Free to Be You & Me, Star Wars and I were all born in the same year, all turning 40 in 2011.
But it's just not true. Those toys, video game icons, and pop-culture references are from my youth, but the conscious years, not the zygote years.
More from YourTango: Foster Parenting: When Dad Is Doting And Mom Is A Moody Impostor
Having said that, there ARE some cool things/people turning 40 this year, right along with me. John Lennon's song Imagine. Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry. And my girl Mary J Blige hits the big 4-0 right alongside me this year.
In honor of facing 40 on Sunday, I decided to stroll down memory lane and celebrate 40 of my Greatest Hits (and a few Misses) of my life in progress, lived out loud...
1. At age 6, scoring a Barbie dream house (the one with the Pink elevator) for Christmas, one of many fave memories from a childhood filled with Barbie
2. At age 7, watching the movie Grease in the theater with my mom, and as the end credits rolled, hearing her say, "In real life, he'd change for her."
3. Following my globetrotting parents around the world, living on three continents (North America, Australia, Asia) before I was 10
4. Begging my parents for a ventriloquist doll named Lester for Christmas, unwrapping him with glee, and insisting on entertaining my parents friends (and bosses!) with a comedy set that always started with, "OK, Joke Time!"
5. At age 12, mistaking a moat for a puddle during a Sri Lankan downpour (stepping in, plummeting, and resurfacing to the shock and awe of onlookers)
6. At 15, falling in love with Rebel, a creative, fun loving, new waver who had a girlfriend, told me he loved me more, and set the scene for a decade of me chasing emotionally unavailable men who didn't love me back
7. After high school graduation, getting schooled on how to drink beer (and getting drunk for the first time) with Bad Influence, my high school buddy (His tip: Always drink a root beer first so your burps taste good)
8. Binge drinking root beer (and then some) for four years straight at college
9. At 22, falling in love and moving in with Trouble, a.k.a. a 37-year-old bodybuilder with a checkered past
10. At 23, barely escaping Trouble with my life
11. At 29, landing my dream job where I got to write about Barbie all day long
12. After a safe and predictable three-year relationship with Mr. Vanilla, loudly and proudly proclaiming while watching the movie The Tao of Steve, "I want to meet someone who'll ROCK my world!"
13. Enter Mr. Rocky Road, a.k.a. the first man to make me feel seen, heard, loved, and adored (when we weren't embroiled in a codependent nightmare, that is!)
More from YourTango: 4 Reasons To Get Back With An Ex - Or Not
14. Watching all my friends get married, have babies, and settle down, desperately wishing Mr. Rocky Road could get his act together and morph into The One
15. Breaking up, making up, & breaking down for six months straight during my Big Breakup with Mr. Rocky Road